Anyone bought "Guitarist" recently ??

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27931

Do they still run the free Classifieds in the back of the mag?

I was wondering ... perhaps we could get some ads placed for theFretBoard  :D

We might have to make the wording of the ads a little "clever" to get past the censors, but if we could sneak a couple in, it'd be more free publicity for us.  And I like the idea of getting free publicity for theFretBoard in the Guitarist magazine ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, I buy it. They do still run the ads in the back. You have to supply your ad online, they don't accept crayon on the back of a used envelope any more.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yes, I buy it. They do still run the ads in the back. You have to supply your ad online, they don't accept crayon on the back of a used envelope any more.

dammit, crayon is my best writing medium

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573

I think they still do have classifieds, I buy it most months but I must say that I haven't looked in classfieds for at least 5 years! I reckon the problem is those few still using it haven't yet heard of the interwebnet and thus probably also don't know what a forum is either! Nothing to lose though I guess.

I say we go for a full back cover, I'm bored of those bloody Vox ads

;))
  • If we can get someone from GAK onboard, we're laughing....

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    But... as we all know, but weren't allowed to say on MR... GAK are SHIT ! :-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    I have Guitarist on subscription.  It seems to have become the default christmas pressy for dad from eldest daughter.  

Not sure i have ever seen an advert for a website in the free section and I suspect a paid for ad would be quite expensive.  Unless of course the slush fund is really huge.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    edited August 2013
    I don't particularly want to give them any revenue at all, so no funds will be spent.

I was going to try to sneak an ad into the classifieds on the basis that whoever checks them pre publication is probably incredibly bored and not that interested ;)

Is there a www address through which you post the ads?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • get a stand at guitar shows and spam people!
    Old Is Gold
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited August 2013
    TTony said:
    I don't particularly want to give them any revenue at all, so no funds will be spent.

I was going to try to sneak an ad into the classifieds on the basis that whoever checks them pre publication is probably incredibly bored and not that interested ;)

Is there a www address through which you post the ads?

I recently subscribed for the freebie (half price in reality) Diago pedal board. Mag is pretty tedious, sure most of the reviews end up on the MR website anyway,

Web address for classifieds is: guitarist.readerads@futurenet.com
    Theres a 21 word limit, excluding contact details.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    If you're going to do that, put one in Guitar and Bass magazine as well. A far superior publication imho, and more suited to the forummers here - more realistic range of products reviewed, almost every month there's an interesting DIY article of some sort etc.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Why not help people find TheFretboard by increasing its Google rating using cross-references from other sites, and plenty of mentions of the word MusicRadar here?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Used to have a sub but cancelled end of last year. Too many adverts and reviews were much the same each issue. Better reviews on youtube tbh.

• I think Guitarist has to accepted for what it is; increasingly about encouraging readers to buy things and less about players and developing as a player. In the past less mainstream playing styles were covered in the techniques section (John Dixon had a regular column on slide for instance). Now the section seems like an after-thought.

To me the zenith of guitar magazines was Guitar Player in the '80s. It used to feature superbly detailed, long form interviews where players were questioned at length about technique, how their guitars were set up, influences, etc. Very different from today's 'tell us about your Two Rock signature amp' approach. GP's writers were true experts (George Gruhn wrote their vintage guitar column, Tom Wheeler was editor, etc).

Maybe in a world which seems to value Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross more highly than Parky, we simply get what we deserve.....
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    I stopped buying Guitar Player when the ever-present undercurrent of "rock music is all well and good but it's just a passing fad and you'll progress on to jazz if you wantr to call yourself a guitar player" became too annoying.

Guitarist occupies a very definite space. If PRS fart, they'll devote pages to it. They've been getting a bit too Top Gear, although I do find the challenges they've had a bit more interesting than yet another £5k custom model being reviewed.

Guitar and Bass has come on leaps and bounds from its early un-guitar stance.

Still waiting for someone to do consistent reviews of the sorts of models most people will buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf;8556" said:

Guitar and Bass has come on leaps and bounds from its early un-guitar stance.

Still waiting for someone to do consistent reviews of the sorts of models most people will buy.
    I like G & B - it's much more 'real world' than Guitarist and grew out of the great but long-gone 'International Musician' - and was Dave Burrluck's former employer, before Guitarist poached him. DB is an expert guitar journalist - I'm not so sure others at Guitarist are....

The modern day Guitarist has what in record terms might be considered 'high product values'. It is a shame the content is so thin....
  • Maybe they could have saved some cash and the Forum if they ditched "Blues you can use"...
  • ZenOvertone;8887" said:
    Maybe they could have saved some cash and the Forum if they ditched "Blues you can use"...
    And given Neville a break....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    I'm glad I'm not alone in being bored with pages devoted to the 'latest' 'definitive' PRS, with the latest load of marketing spin from Paul himself. 

And content is getting 'thin'... reviews seem to have to be either quick shufties or fifteen page superlative overloads. And why do we always seem to get the same interviewees on rotation.

But hey... I do understand (probably more than most with my previous career) how difficult running a magazine can be and that it is rarely the fault of the Editor or any of his staff that are the problem - its usually the higher management that ruin  run magazines.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I have a new 6 month subscription. And a Diago Commuter... T'was the free gift that lured me back. What I think they have done is to stop trying to make the mag be all things to all guitarists and just aim it at a more specific sector ( with TG and GT doing their own specifics as well). Bit more of a coffee table magazine and aimed at the older reader I think. In fact quite hard to imagine anyone reading it who isn't a fat, white, middle aged man who likes da blues. A description that fits me and I find it is a bit boring these days. As richardhomer said Guitar Player in it's heyday was probably the best and still continues to be the most diverse - just rather expensive for something so thin.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    ...and is there something I should know about putting paragraphs into comments? It seems to have ignored the one I did on that one.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.