(non)Fridge Freezer trouble

What's Hot
Don't you hate it when vital appliances decide to go on the blink? Our 5 year old Fridge Freezer has decided to be just a freezer with a massive cupboard on top which used to get nice and chilled but now is just slightly cool.

The freezer part itself has been giving us some hassle too by dripping water inside which then freezes up and blocks the drawers from going in and out.

It's a Hotpoint unit, and it's brilliant when it works. So, do we try and get it repaired, or do we replace it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You got 5 years out of it?

I've not had one breakdown on me before replacing anyway, but I did find this which might help.

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/kitchen/guides/fridge-repairs-and-spares/repair-or-replace-your-fridge/

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, nearly 6 years actually. Sounds like a repair is worthwhile, so I'll contact some local repairers.
    Cheers for the link.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12539
    If the freezer part is still working the compressor is ok and the refrigerant hasn't leaked out. Fridges are dead simple machines so that basically only leaves the thermostat or the little lightbulb. My money's on the thermostat. ;)
  • boogieman said:
    If the freezer part is still working the compressor is ok and the refrigerant hasn't leaked out. Fridges are dead simple machines so that basically only leaves the thermostat or the little lightbulb. My money's on the thermostat. ;)
    Excellent, I'll definitely try the repair option then. Have wisdom.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited November 2013
    does the fridge get cooled from cold air from the freezer ?

we had an old hotpoint american side by side,  and the fridge stopped getting cold.   The fridge was cooled by blowing air up through the element in the freezer. (well sucked up actually !!)  These  fins get clogged with ice - you need to remove the cover and de-frost with a hair-dryer.   Problem solved
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.

• bertie said:
    does the fridge get cooled from cold air from the freezer ?

we had an old hotpoint american side by side,  and the fridge stopped getting cold.   The fridge was cooled by blowing air up through the element in the freezer. (well sucked up actually !!)  These  fins get clogged with ice - you need to remove the cover and de-frost with a hair-dryer.   Problem solved
    That's an interesting thought. The freezer has been dripping water internally recently which freezes up and blocks the bottom drawer going in and out. It could well be that the drip is somewhere near the vent through to the fridge and I haven't cleared it recently.

I'll be doing that this evening. Worth a shot.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    I did it about twice,  got another 18 months out of ours before it packed up completely.................was 12 years old tho
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12539
    Good point Bertster, I forgot about that. Some fridges have a fan on the back too and they can clog up with fluff or ice and the motor can burn out. Worth checking.