Woop Woop Just got the DOS emulator working on my laptop!

What's Hot
Been playing one of my fave games Shooting Gallery 3.3

Going to download Commander Keen and Bio Menance now I think!
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Prince of Persia.

Just sayin'.
    <space for hire>
  • Always hated Prince of Persia with a passion, I think it was because it was too hard for me!

Warcraft I was ace so was Z (I think)
    Old Is Gold
  • On Wolfenstein now

probably the best game ever made

Old Is Gold
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909
    Tie Fighter

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh man how could I forget RISE OF THE TRIAD!

that game is properly mental
    Old Is Gold
  • I think Z was one of the hardest games I ever played, or I just didn't understand it. For me it's sim city 2000 all the way, and The Settlers 2.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    [pedant] I'm not a 'puter geek but surely winduz is running on/within DOS not emulating it /[pedant]

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27167
    edited November 2013
    ESBlonde said:
    [pedant] I'm not a 'puter geek but surely winduz is running on/within DOS not emulating it /[pedant]

No - Windows only ran on top of DOS up to Win 3.11. Win95 had a basic DOS-like loader, but from that point forward DOS pretty much left the building. Even the DOS loader only lasted as far as WinME. What you see as Windows now is actually based on Windows NT 4, which never had anything to do with DOS.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone into Wolfenstein it seems that someone re did it last year with better graphics and other options, its actually really good see here http://www.moddb.com/downloads?filter=t&kw=wolfram&type=def&game=

Its called Wolfram
    Old Is Gold
  • MAME - arcade emulator ftw. Coin op versions of Outrun, Gauntlet, Chase HQ and Golden Axe running on your laptop.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Always hated Prince of Persia with a passion, I think it was because it was too hard for me!

Warcraft I was ace so was Z (I think)
    I had a prince of persia game which I think I could only get into the 2 second room or screen... and I just couldn't seem to get past it... thankfully it was on the amiga and my dad had brought it home on disk (not a genuine one) so there was no financial worry when I gave up having tried too many times to make a jump that seemed fine, but would never quite make it (maybe a clever copy protection?).

Not sure I have any DOS only games left... 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    ESBlonde said:

No - Windows only ran on top of DOS up to Win 3.11. Win95 had a basic DOS-like loader, but from that point forward DOS pretty much left the building. Even the DOS loader only lasted as far as WinME. What you see as Windows now is actually based on Windows NT 4, which never had anything to do with DOS.
    That gets a wisdom from me.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    Does the emulator slow games down to their correct speed?

I remember back in the days of getting a, gasp, a 286 computer, you had to run a utility called SLOWDOWN so you could run games written for a plain old PC.