London Eye advice please

What's Hot
Yo
We've got some time off around Xmas and wanted to do something a bit different with our kids (14 and 11 years old). A day out in London is on the cards including a trip on the Eye.

So, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the best time of day to go on. We're stuck between a daylight ride or darkness, or maybe dusk. All options seem to appeal in theory so I thought I'd seek the advice and experience of others.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good restaurant which isn't extortionately priced and is in the general vicinity of the Eye that would be great.

Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123

I think daytime is better

A clear day is good, so a very cold, dry one

• we went daytime just before lunch, didn't pre book tickets but was only 10 mins queueing to get them and another 15 mins before we were in a pod.. if you do pre book online tho you save 20%
  • Thanks folks. It's a tough choice, and made tougher if we get snow because I think that could improve the daytime views. Either way, I'm glad none of you said not to bother.
  • we went daytime just before lunch, didn't pre book tickets but was only 10 mins queueing to get them and another 15 mins before we were in a pod.
    would you get in that quick during a school holiday though?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    My personal experience was one I'd not want to repeat. Herself bought tickets online with a designated time and date. Only when we got there (early) the queue is massive. You cannot even join the queue until 30 minuets before your allotted time and then the Queueing time is approximately one hour! So they were unable to manage the ride. BUT they were still selling tickets at a premium to others to Queue jump whilst they were unable to fulfil their obligations to those they had already taken cash and contracted a ride to. In addition they speed up the ride so that instead of the 48 minuets a ride took when we first arrived our ride was only 32 minuets (I had fuck all else to do so I timed it ok)!

Whilst I could have paid for the upgrade to queue jump I was indignant and determined that these thieving bastards were getting no more of my money.

Yes it left a bitter taste, customer satisfaction my arse.

• Hmmm, that would indeed wind me up too. And I'm not easily wound.
  • 2for1 if you're going by train:
  • we went daytime just before lunch, didn't pre book tickets but was only 10 mins queueing to get them and another 15 mins before we were in a pod.
    would you get in that quick during a school holiday though?
    it was during half term
  • FazerFazer Frets: 472
    its not any cheaper, but you might also want to consider the shard viewing area (i havent been up myself)
    http://www.theviewfromtheshard.com/

as for restaurants near the eye there are a few places along the southbank, on the same side if you go under the bridge, or 1 minute further down there is the bfi one also, and a few in coin st.
    i cant vouch for them personally in terms of price/niceness i'm afraid, they look nice enough but are in prime location so will be a bit more.
    otherwise just over the bridge in trafalgar sq there is the crypt cafe which will be nice and christmassy!
    http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/cafe-in-the-crypt/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been to meetings in those crypts! Quite possibly the oddest place I have ever sat talking about data returns.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 472
    at xmas time there are also quite a lot of xmassy things along the southbank around the eye, and also in hyde park
    http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/

plus hamleys in regents street is fun for kids, and they currently have eros at picadilly circus done up as a giant snowglobe
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/in-pictures-picadillys-eros-becomes-christmas-snow-globe-8942610.html?action=gallery

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom