Non-Guitar Centric Music

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Set myself a 60 minute challenge last night, did this all in Omnisphere and Damage for the percussion.

Jeez, I love Omnisphere, I really do. I had this dead loud last night, lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Snap said:

Set myself a 60 minute challenge last night, did this all in Omnisphere and Damage for the percussion.

Jeez, I love Omnisphere, I really do. I had this dead loud last night, lol

haaa... really quirky and cool...

Damage is great ain't it..
    I don't have it myself but a mate does and swears by it

play every note as if it were your first
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2020
    Nice piece. I like non-guitar centric music made with guitars (and synths).
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    cheers.
    @Clarky yeah, Damage is pretty good. Thought you had NI Ultimate? It's in there. I don't like the out of the box EQ on Damage though, it's a bit brittle, mid heavy for me, but there is a lot you can do with it to change that. 

Well, I've now got my new PC up and running, but haven't installed any music stuff on it. So, when I put Komplete Ultimate on it, I will finally install the upgraded version. In there is what looks like an interesting percussion instrument - Kinetic Metal. I'll have a do at a track with that, see what it can do.

Also looking forward to getting to grips with Reaktor 6.

Bought a few things I was waiting to install. Syntronik (vintage synth heaven) and Waves Gold - which I am planning to make my default mixing and mastering kit. Might actually get round to properly installing my Komplete Kontrol keyboard too. 

Well, that's the plan, which could very easily go awry...…..
    Snap said:
    cheers.
    @Clarky yeah, Damage is pretty good. Thought you had NI Ultimate? It's in there. I don't like the out of the box EQ on Damage though, it's a bit brittle, mid heavy for me, but there is a lot you can do with it to change that. 

Well, I've now got my new PC up and running, but haven't installed any music stuff on it. So, when I put Komplete Ultimate on it, I will finally install the upgraded version. In there is what looks like an interesting percussion instrument - Kinetic Metal. I'll have a do at a track with that, see what it can do.

Also looking forward to getting to grips with Reaktor 6.

Bought a few things I was waiting to install. Syntronik (vintage synth heaven) and Waves Gold - which I am planning to make my default mixing and mastering kit. Might actually get round to properly installing my Komplete Kontrol keyboard too. 

Well, that's the plan, which could very easily go awry...…..
    no I've got Komplete 9 plus a load of extra NI stuff..

I use some Waves stuff too... love it..

for cinematic percussion I use NI Action Strikes.. sounds lovely
    Right.

Two full days of installing software!! 

NI Komplete 9 Ultimate from the disk, then a load of updates from Native Access, then another 44 installs from the upgrade to Ultimate 11!! 
    Have to say the upgrade to 11 is worth it, definitely. It comes with a load of interesting stuff. Emotive Strings was a 20GB install, as was one of the Brass things. Also comes with Action Strikes, they are v cool, very Hans Zimmer. 

I have installed Waves Gold, and found a few other of their stuff that I had forgotten I'd bought. SSL E, and CLA Mixdown. Also got the Berzerk distortion for free.

Installed Komplete Kontrol properly so it integrates into my NI controller. That is a very neat set up. Lots of control from the keyboard, funnily enough.....

Done the painful stuff really. Only installs left are Omnisphere, Syntronik (actually quite big), Oddity and a few other synths.

Then I'm up and running properly.

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    IIRC you can copy your old Omnisphere STEAM folder across to your new PC rather than reinstall from the discs... Googling suggests that yes:
    this is the case.

It should save you quite a bit of time as you then only have to partially install the first (application/plugin) bit rather than all the data too. I'm a bit vague on the details I'm afraid but remember doing it a little while ago and it did work. I imagine there are some helpful bits out there if you search.
    Snap said:
    Right.

Two full days of installing software!! 

NI Komplete 9 Ultimate from the disk, then a load of updates from Native Access, then another 44 installs from the upgrade to Ultimate 11!! 
    Have to say the upgrade to 11 is worth it, definitely. It comes with a load of interesting stuff. Emotive Strings was a 20GB install, as was one of the Brass things. Also comes with Action Strikes, they are v cool, very Hans Zimmer. 

I have installed Waves Gold, and found a few other of their stuff that I had forgotten I'd bought. SSL E, and CLA Mixdown. Also got the Berzerk distortion for free.

Installed Komplete Kontrol properly so it integrates into my NI controller. That is a very neat set up. Lots of control from the keyboard, funnily enough.....

Done the painful stuff really. Only installs left are Omnisphere, Syntronik (actually quite big), Oddity and a few other synths.

Then I'm up and running properly.

I've developed a cool way of using Action Strikes.. 
    @Clarky - now you've got to tell me this method, obviously!!

@oaf - I did the fresh install, but thanks all the same. It does take a long time, bleeding heck!! About 10 discs. Works brilliantly now though. I had a problem before where any time I searched in Omnisphere for a preset, the answer came back in Chinese!! Which was handy...….

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    Yeah I remember it being slow going :) once it's done it's done though.
    Snap said:
    @Clarky - now you've got to tell me this method, obviously!!

so.. Action Strikes has an sequencer thing going if you load ensemble or instrument.. I avoid them..
    I load multiple instances of hits on different tracks in Logic..
    each instance I run just a single percussion piece.. this means:
    - each piece can have it's own pan, level, fx etc..
    - I'm not confined to the percussion pieces in a single hit set
    - I can programme each piece manually so there is variety in each performance.. 
    - I can use different percussion pieces in different section of the piece so there's a lot of variety there too
    sounds more organic and natural

if it gets glitchy I just freeze the track
    I normally have about 4 to 7 instances at a time..
    @clarky nice, I'll look into that deffo. At the moment I am a little overwhelmed at the glut of new stuff in the upgrade of Ultimate. It's staggering. Some very good pianos in there. also Emotive Strings which is very good. There are slimmed down versions of the big brass, string ensembles that NI launched a couple of years ago. They are good.

Kinetic Metal is interesting.
    A few other synths plus a new version of Reaktor to try and understand.

Waves Gold is simply huge and I haven't looked at much in there yet. 
    Bought the Chris Lord-Aige mixdown plugin for mastering which I;ve tried and it's nice.

Got a load of EQs to have a look at, dynamic as well. Can't get enough ability in EQ, so effective in making mixes better. no surprise.

Then there is the synth beast that is Syntronik…….

All very exciting, ready for a bit of self isolation....
    Snap said:
    @clarky nice, I'll look into that deffo. At the moment I am a little overwhelmed at the glut of new stuff in the upgrade of Ultimate. It's staggering. Some very good pianos in there. also Emotive Strings which is very good. There are slimmed down versions of the big brass, string ensembles that NI launched a couple of years ago. They are good.

Kinetic Metal is interesting.
    A few other synths plus a new version of Reaktor to try and understand.

Waves Gold is simply huge and I haven't looked at much in there yet. 
    Bought the Chris Lord-Aige mixdown plugin for mastering which I;ve tried and it's nice.

Got a load of EQs to have a look at, dynamic as well. Can't get enough ability in EQ, so effective in making mixes better. no surprise.

Then there is the synth beast that is Syntronik…….

All very exciting, ready for a bit of self isolation....
    haaa... death by choice.. I know that game...
    eventually it'll settle down and you'll have 'go to' stuff...

never tried Kinetic Metal.. looks interesting tho..
    Reaktor is a hedfuk.. lol

the last thing I bought was NI Symph Series Percussion..
    I have the whole set now..
    Ultimate 11 has a slimmed selection of the NI symphony stuff, and its very good.
    Kinetic Metal - it's interesting, and maybe worth a punt in a 50% sale. I thought it was a percussion instrument but its melodic, based on metallic moving samples. Typically industrial heavyocity style interface as well. 

Reaktor - mate, it's a bit overwhelming. The community stuff is a real wormhole, there is some amazing stuff for nothing that people have developed. I would love to be au fait with this thing. Maybe that is something I should have a proper look at. Reaktor 6 is apparently more used friendly.

Another thing I hope to get on top  of is the audio import in Omnisphere, that can produce some amazing sounds. Mind blowing.

Oh and why not add in to the mix practising more guitar? Yeah, I'm a bit rusty on that too. ha.
    Snap said:
    Ultimate 11 has a slimmed selection of the NI symphony stuff, and its very good.
    Kinetic Metal - it's interesting, and maybe worth a punt in a 50% sale. I thought it was a percussion instrument but its melodic, based on metallic moving samples. Typically industrial heavyocity style interface as well. 

Reaktor - mate, it's a bit overwhelming. The community stuff is a real wormhole, there is some amazing stuff for nothing that people have developed. I would love to be au fait with this thing. Maybe that is something I should have a proper look at. Reaktor 6 is apparently more used friendly.

Another thing I hope to get on top  of is the audio import in Omnisphere, that can produce some amazing sounds. Mind blowing.

Oh and why not add in to the mix practising more guitar? Yeah, I'm a bit rusty on that too. ha.
    there are two versions of the Symp Series stuff.. full and and lighter one
    the differences are the numbers and types of articulations..
    to be honest... even if I don't use the extras in the full versions often, considering what I do, I'd rather have them than not..
    so I have the full versions of all 4 sections..

to get your head around Reaktor, you really need to understand how modular synths work..
    which I don't know well enough.. and to be honest, I don't have the the time to dive into that area although I expect it to be fascinating and great fun..

same with Omni.. I'd love to know it better, but the stock sounds are so good and varied, I can always find something like what I'm looking for and some in the stock presets..

playing guitar and composition [media music and band stuff] is mostly what I'm all about

edited March 2020
    Yeah, I am the same really.
    Modular - I find the Moog Model 15 app really useful for understanding how stuff works. The tutorials are very good, but I keep forgetting the stuff and having to do them all again. Very time consuming though.
    When I was a teenager and we were in a band, I used to know all about synthesis and how to make sounds from nothing. You had to, cos there weren't any presets really. I was a mental Gary Numan fan so the synth was the be all and end all.

I have more or less forgotten it all though!! this thing called life over takes most things,,,,
    haven't a Scooby these days, utterly clueless!! 
    Snap said:
    Yeah, I am the same really.
    Modular - I find the Moog Model 15 app really useful for understanding how stuff works. The tutorials are very good, but I keep forgetting the stuff and having to do them all again. Very time consuming though.
    When I was a teenager and we were in a band, I used to know all about synthesis and how to make sounds from nothing. You had to, cos there weren't any presets really. I was a mental Gary Numan fan so the synth was the be all and end all.

I have more or less forgotten it all though!! this thing called life over takes most things,,,,
    haven't a Scooby these days, utterly clueless!! 
    and not all synths are exactly the same either.. they tweak a bit different...
    so what you got used to back then on that gear may produce slightly different results on what you have now..
    those old 70's synth guys [Wakeman, Jarre, Tangelos etc] were amazingly skilled
    edited March 2020
    I've got the deluxe version of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra on repeat at the moment, all 2 1/2 hours of it. Amazing stuff really.

Right, started on another track, so here's about an hour's worth of ideas, all feedback and ideas welcome!. There is a little guitar in early on, heavily processed with some Soundtoys stuff which I had forgotten I had (wtf?!). These plugins are so good. The polymoog patch and melody in the end section has a very clear influence, but you gotta love a big polymoog string patch surely?!

So far, very much capturing ideas. It's also been "jiffy" mastered using the CLA mixdown plugin from Waves. 

Snap said:
    I've got the deluxe version of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra on repeat at the moment, all 2 1/2 hours of it. Amazing stuff really.

Right, started on another track, so here's about an hour's worth of ideas, all feedback and ideas welcome!. There is a little guitar in early on, heavily processed with some Soundtoys stuff which I had forgotten I had (wtf?!). These plugins are so good. The polymoog patch and melody in the end section has a very clear influence, but you gotta love a big polymoog string patch surely?!

So far, very much capturing ideas. It's also been "jiffy" mastered using the CLA mixdown plugin from Waves. 

love this...
    love the way that sound breaks up too... really cool
    eyup @Clarky I finished it, ended up putting some guitars in it for one of the board's composition challenges. Still, it's synth centric enough. All synths done in Omnisphere too. tending to use that for most everything at the moment. It's a bottomless pit really, magic