Visual Studio 2008

This 'ere program is wanted on a Mickeysoft PC, not on a Linux PC. So I've copied the files over, told Visual Studio what they are & how to build them, used conditional compilation to provide the Windoze-speak equivalents of the Linux library functions, and got it to build with no errors.

So far so good. But where is the EXE file? I can see on the tabs you get when you click on Project|Properties that the linker is supposed to produce $(OutDir)\$(ProjectName).exe and if I look at the BuildLog I can see the relevant string on a /OUT: directive, and when it runs I see at the end Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped however when I look in the filestore tree I see no EXE file?

What have I done wrong?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    posted it on a guitar forum?
  • posted it on a guitar forum?
    This is Off-Topic! There are a few s/w engs aound here ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6264
    edited November 2013
    Isn't it in the 'bin' folder of your project?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2013
    Turns out that there are 2 directories called Release, one at a higher level in the filestore tree than the level you can see from the project browser on the left. There's an exe file in there.

It won't run because of a "Run Time Error R6034" - Application has made an attempt to load the C runtime Library incorrectly.

I've seen it before, when the Debug project configuration box had its "Compile as C" option set. Although the program is straight C with no C++ jiggery-pokery in it, I had to tell it to compile it as C++ before I could run it in debug mode. So I also set that option for the Release build. There has to be some other magic incantation I haven't said correctly, or incense not burned.

EDIT

Here is what I found on the Mickeysoft site: "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library without using a manifest. This is an unsupported way to load Visual C++ DLLs. You need to modify your application to build with a manifest. For more information, see the "Visual C++ Libraries as Shared Side-by-Side Assemblies" topic in the product documentation."

The magic incantation was "Manifest". Not sure what it does, but it allowed me to run the program after compiling it as though it were C. I think that's what I wanted it to do :)

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    The manifest is just a list of external libs/dlls it's been around for donkeys and was always embedded into the exe. For some reason MS decided you might want it externally (because that's no security risk...).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.