Low Cost Franchises?

What's Hot

£10k and under.

Anyone think these are really worth the investment, or are they a just a sure fire way of throwing cash away and making someone else richer.

You know the type: Snap On Tools, Snack boxes, Ringtons Tea etc.

There's a ton of them on here

http://www.franchisedirect.co.uk/investment1/

Main reason I am asking is I'm seriously thinking about changing my job as I have a boss (Family Business Owner) who is a complete c*nt and who has imposed unlawful sanctions on me over the last 2 years, sadly I have no way of proving this. He is also a snob who talks down to me as I don't conform into seeking all the trappings that would keep me deeper in his servitude ie: expensive car and house in a "classier" area.

So it's either find a different regular job or maybe invest in a franchise, or something else.

Anyone ever bought into a Franchise?

Are they destined to failure by design?

Thanks.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    One of my mates opted for a Subway franchise some years ago. Hard slog. Probs doing ok now but he's from 'money' so I think the parents kept him and his mrs/kids afloat.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    mate of mine just bought a LockRite  franchise.  Its opened lots of doors for him
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    mate of mine just bought a LockRite  franchise.  Its opened lots of doors for him

It's the key to success, surely?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    etyres?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123

If it were me, I'd retrain as a plumber or buy a sandwich van, and try to be unique, e.g. one that does stew, and good spicy Jamaican stews and curries would be good:

I watched some of the ladies turn up at an office I was at and did the mental arithmetic: a morning spent making butties, driving around until 2pm , and take a few hundred home in cash

• NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    Rather than spend the money on a franchise why not start up a window cleaning round?

No initial investment apart from a bucket, cloths and a squeegee and a good few weekends spent canvassing your area. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I know a Snap-on tool man, he's been doing it for years, and seems happy with doing it. He has a bunch off regular stops, and knows most of the mechanics in Cambridge.

He's certainly not skint....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Neil;89180" said:
    Rather than spend the money on a franchise why not start up a window cleaning round?

No initial investment apart from a bucket, cloths and a squeegee and a good few weekends spent canvassing your area. 
    I have known a couple of window cleaners and they made reasonable money, the bigger earnings if you can get contracts with businesses. You would need to be careful of stepping on someone else's patch and getting your ladders broken :(

A lot of those businesses on that franchise list I've never heard of. And sooo many branches of Subway now I can't imagine its the earner it used to be.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • My opinion about franchises is not well informed so I'll keep it to myself. What I will say is that your reasons for looking at it are not ideal - you're looking for a way out of your current situation when, I reckon, you should enter into a franchise that you have a passion for. Just a friendly caution to take care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

/\ I agree.

Re window-cleaning, I think there may be some local council rules about it, so best check first.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited November 2013

buy a sandwich van, and try to be unique, e.g. one that does stew, and good spicy Jamaican stews and curries would be good:

thats an awful lot of work for one person,  if youre making the end product (to a reasonable standard) yourself and then going out selling it.  Possibly too much

Its a pretty saturated market too,  you'd need to know that "your product" is going to sell..........I know the "landlords" of the buildings my co  use, only allow a very limited amount of traders to enter the car parks.    
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Neil;89180" said:

I have known a couple of window cleaners and they made reasonable money, the bigger earnings if you can get contracts with businesses. You would need to be careful of stepping on someone else's patch and getting your ladders broken :(

A lot of those businesses on that franchise list I've never heard of. And sooo many branches of Subway now I can't imagine its the earner it used to be.
    Maybe cycle up to a building like canary wharf with a bucket of water and a sponge... 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Myranda said:

Maybe cycle up to a building like canary wharf with a bucket of water and a sponge... 
    and a very long ladder?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Myranda;89272" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Neil;89180" said:Rather than spend the money on a franchise why not start up a window cleaning round?

The guy I used to know didn't have much more than that and still did various offices ( of the converted old house type)and shops. They pay more and more regularly than private house owners .
    Best part of 30 years ago I met Sweden's top window cleaner. British guy who had gone there on holiday, realised there were no paid window cleaners, stayed and started up a small business. He became the window cleaning king of Stockholm.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    And old mate of mine is in his 60s now, he took on a cleaning franchise and he refers to it as the making of him.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My dad used to be a window cleaner, he did all the posh houses in the Quantocks. I went a few times, it's hard work. It's possible to make a lot of money doing it, but it takes a certain work ethic and self motivation, that he lacks, lol.
    My V key is broken
  • Thanks everyone for the tips, much appreciated :-)

@roundthebend

I agree, I would not do anything rash and it is just a thought at the moment, a different job(workplace) would be welcome too.

My main worry with franchises is that they are "too good to be true". The Franchisor is on a winner from the get go, if I fail, someone else comes in with another start up fee and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

I know it sounds a bit conspiratorial of me to look at it this way, but it makes me wonder that you might have to nearly work yourself into the ground just to make a go of it.

I have savings but nowhere near the 10k figure, that was just an arbitrary figure as it seems that is the "low" bracket. Some are cheaper though.

It would also have to be something I enjoy as well, like you said.

I'll have to do some research.

Cheers.