Logic Pro X audio interface

What's Hot

Comments

• Lightworks video just wasn't working but I've now decided not to use that software as you seem to need a super computer to run it. 

I got some audio glitching in Tracktion at times. I'm sure it is a lack of RAM issue. I think I can get by just adding some RAM. It means I have to stay up until 2am for many more months as this is a desktop, but so be it. After this, I'm going through the process of buying another machine. I just want to play my guitar  :(

I really can't believe this Apple situation - it's a total joke. It took a fair bit of digging to find out as well - I'd almost bought a nice case for it and was looking into buying a new hardware interface and emulation software thinking that the Toneport was just "old." Close call.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2015
    Just my luck as well. Previous OS' seem to be ok for AV work but as soon as I buy.... 

What puts me off is how they seem to be using the user-base to debug the issues and the issues have been going on for months. It just all reeks to me. And it's a real shame as if it all "just worked" I would have been pretty happy.

I'll be raging if John Lewis do a U-turn tomorrow. Will be glad to get that £2k back!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4207
    Never had any issues at all with either Mac running Logic X, even with an old interface ( Digidesign 003r ), i can only put it down to you being unlucky as I have many friends running Mac's of various vintages with no problems of any consequence
  • Are they using the newest OS (El Capitan 10.11)? 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4207
    Yes, the only hassle i had were the Native Instruments plug ins playing up, but that was fixed pretty quickly
    edited December 2015
    Interesting. It does seem some people are ok and some aren't. Maybe luck of the draw. 
    But for CERTAIN there are many people having serious issues with audio USB using the new OS. It's everywhere online. 
    I'm really gutted as really wanted to keep using it but it's really soured my experience. 

I remember interviewing for Apple in London more than a year ago. I never got the job and I'm glad I didn't. At the time they did say people had to think on their feet and work under extreme pressure and that things do go wrong, you just have to adapt and fix it quick. Maybe I should have taken more from that...!
  • Sorry to the OP for the thread hi-jack!!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5693
    Latest update - the FireWire 410 seems to be working again, so I may have saved myself a bit of cash!

I tried various Apple forums for advice and found plenty of people with the same issue - M-Audio device drivers that don't work with the latest version of OS X, but nobody with any useful advice.

While I was on M-Audio's site I noticed there was a community forum so I had a quick look and again a lot of PO'd people that have legacy devices that are no longer supported and thus don't work with Apple's latest OS release.  This time, however, there were some very useful posts including a redirect to a Facebook page dedicated to the problem.  Some chap has taken M-Audio's latest drivers and repackaged them into an installer that works with the OS.

The only slightly fiddly part was restarting the Mac in recovery mode and executing a Terminal command to allow unsigned driver to be installed.  Instructions were provided though and even I managed to successfully install the drivers this way.

The M-Audio control panel no longer works (not that I ever used it) but all the important settings can be accessed via applets in Sys Pref or other application preferences.

For now I'm a happy bunny!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Glad you got a workaround but to be honest, you shouldn't have had to have gone through all of that!
    I agree but I suppose if you look at it from the manufacturers point of view they are only interested in more sales and profit margins.  The device is at least ten years old now so I guess they can't support everything forever :/

edited December 2015
    I was more talking about Apple there lol. It's not just your interface or mine but a whole bunch of them. I know ours are both old but I've read a whole LOAD of new to market interfaces give unacceptable audio artefacts using the new OS.

You could have bought a new interface and it may not have worked. (I'm assuming you're using the latest OS)
    Ah, right, yes, of course you were, I knew that, lol!

• Haych said:I agree but I suppose if you look at it from the manufacturers point of view they are only interested in more sales and profit margins.  The device is at least ten years old now so I guess they can't support everything forever :/
    I like the review on Sound on Sound saying that Microsoft doesn't support Firewire under Win08/ME. Timewarp! I'm trying to remember what I had in 2004 for audio...offhand I think I was using the onboard audio on a Sony Vaio laptop, some Edirol thing for MIDI, and a Behringer V-Amp 2 for guitar DI. Absolutely horrible for guitar but it really suited synths. 

edited December 2015
    I'm so f***ing gutted as you're all going to go on and keep using your perfect Apple machines lol. This thing has really p!ssed me off. Gutted as no doubt there will be a proper fix and everything will resume and I'll be missing out on how great Apple is for AV. I already like the computer and how it's presented, the lack of rubbish etc. I just can't BELIEVE they screwed this up - a £2k laptop not able to work with USB audio, for MONTHS! So bloody angry - I actually want to keep using it but this whole thing has been beyond a joke. The fixes for this seem to be patchy - some people are ok with new betas but others are still reporting problems. Total joke. 

• Aaaaargh, this is some massive joke!!
    I rang the Apple shop (to check for stock of Apogee ONE - thought I'd give this thing a chance) and it came up with an automated thingymajig which said it can recognise voice. So I said "advisor" and all I hear is this virtual typing in the background. 20 seconds (!!) later it says it needs more info. I hung up. 

Is this a sign!? I am now even more annoyed !!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    Aaaaargh, this is some massive joke!!
    I rang the Apple shop (to check for stock of Apogee ONE - thought I'd give this thing a chance) and it came up with an automated thingymajig which said it can recognise voice. So I said "advisor" and all I hear is this virtual typing in the background. 20 seconds (!!) later it says it needs more info. I hung up. 

Is this a sign!? I am now even more annoyed !!
    Book a 'Genius' appointment in the Apple Store @thomassross20 - take the MacBook and get them to get you try it out. Same with Logic Pro. 

Might be worth getting a demo of iMovie too whilst you are there too, might be enough for your video editing, surprisingly powerful for a free tool :)
  • What, and take my Toneport and guitar, too??
  • Remember I bought this at John Lewis.. would Apple entertain helping me?
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    What, and take my Toneport and guitar, too??
    Guitar maybe, for testing out the Apogee? You could take the tone port, but if there is a 'known issue' with that USB interface, might be a waste of time. 
    Remember I bought this at John Lewis.. would Apple entertain helping me?
    Yes, in their interest to keep you an Apple customer. 
  • I can't even get through to them on the phone, whole thing is a joke