I need a building society account that .....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
allows me to use a debit card. Does any such place exist? It seems to me that they won't let you have a card unless your wages are going in every month, but that wouldn't be the case. I basically want to buy things off the internet with my GAS fund.

Anyone know of one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hmmmm .... I have a bank account into which I pay enough from to cover my direct debits per month. It's not the one my salary goes into, and tbh the amount paid in each month is less than a week's wages. However they did give me a debit card for it, which I've not used.

I don't know if they'd let me start an account like that from scratch, but I opened it at the same time as starting a mortgage with that bank. Although the mortgage was cleared some 10 years ago I've kept the account.

You may be better off starting a savings account, crediting it every month with your GAS savings, and moving money back again to spend it on your debit card.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Use a credit card and clear the balance before it's due. Free money for a month and cover the cost from any savings account you like.

Any advantage in a B.Soc account would be negated by having Debit access anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I have a savings account, but you can't get a card for that!

I need to avoid the family account, as Mrs A does not agree with expenditure on guitars, tools and bits. She seems to think that I have too many instruments already, but the total figure is still less that 20! That's hardly a big deal is it???

Mrs A has no access to my hidden GAS money and it's important that she doesn't know what I spend! I have to keep it ringfenced so that it doesn't get thrown at the electricity bill etc.
  • cash, or bitcoin, then ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I got one of those PayPal mastercard things - as long as you don't use it to take cash out (costs a couple of quid if you do) you basically can use it anywhere for as long as you have money in your paypal account.

Alternatively, go into any bank and ask for one of their free basic accounts - they all have to offer them, no charges and they come with a debit card, and you don't have to have your salary paid into them. You have to go into a branch and ask though as I don't think any of them advertise them or let you sign up on-line

• using a debit card on t'internet doesn't have the safeguards that a credit card does. If you had a credit card from a high street bank you could simply pop into your local bank once a month and pay off the balance with whatever cash you have squirreled away. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom