Fender Excelsior

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    @koneguitarist well to make the most of my amp I better buy an SG then!

A ES335 sounds even better, may need to get one of those as well !!
    On a slightly less salubrious note, my Danelectro Pro sounds gorgeous through it. An amp for all seasons :)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •   Anyone ever tell you guys that you are enablers? lol!

I have a tele, several flavors of strat (mia sss; mim hh; VM w/lipsticks; and an Affinity that loves the '65 twin model on my Mustang), an Ibanez hh, and an LP-alike.  I SHOULD be able to get the best out of it...  At least until I can afford a Gibson Firebird!

I agree on the 6V6 loaded amps.  Really like that sound!

@ICBM ; your description of the Excelsior sound pretty much sums up exactly why I like it.  I'm tired of the way a lot of modern amps sound, they're just too perfect and sterile sounding.  The more characterful it sounds the more I like it.

The looks get high marks in my book, too.  The only things I like more for cool, quirky looks are the Dano Honeytone, and the Tone King Falcon- which looks like one of those old '40's/50's radios, with the knobs next to the speaker. ( and that one has a built in attenuator, too!)  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Pyroman said:
    @ICBM ; your description of the Excelsior sound pretty much sums up exactly why I like it.  I'm tired of the way a lot of modern amps sound, they're just too perfect and sterile sounding.  The more characterful it sounds the more I like it.
    I agree. I do like my muddy/ratty old 1964 Centurion amp - which I only bought because one of them was my first amp, but I love the tone of it. Even for "proper" amps I have realised I like lesser perfection - it was quite a shock for a technically-minded person like me to discover that I really prefer valve-rectified amps, even for 'modern' sounds. And I really like older solid-state amps, that aren't "good" by modern (or modelling) standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rprrpr Frets: 310
      The looks get high marks in my book, too.  The only things I like more for cool, quirky looks are the Dano Honeytone, and the Tone King Falcon- which looks like one of those old '40's/50's radios, with the knobs next to the speaker. ( and that one has a built in attenuator, too!)   

You might like the new Ramparte as well-9 watts, 12" speaker- same series as the Excelsior , similar kinda price IIRC-

• rpr said:

You might like the new Ramparte as well-9 watts, 12" speaker- same series as the Excelsior , similar kinda price IIRC-

I saw that.  GC had none in stock, though.  All the Pawnshop series amps are pretty cool looking!