What would it take for you to sack a singer

What's Hot
JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1543
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
If you were in a band and the singer was a vile Bastard and  had broken the law, How long would you put up with him? 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 Years? What would be a step too far for you?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• are we in a pub band or a famous $$$ band? If in a pub band then I'd probably quit myself, if I'm earning millions I'd probably put up with it. :D

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1543
     I have only ever been in bands with close friends, people ive known for a long time. So its friends first bandmate second. If i thought a close friend was acting in a vile way i would feel i could confront him/her over it imediately and if it didnt stop  something would have to be done. 
    If i was a new member of a band who were all strangers to me the the same vile behaviour would not be acceptable to me but would i speak up? idk, i would probably leave the band.
  • he would have to be seriously talented to put up with being a bellend, and even then i reckon 2 years before you had to give him a slap or leave yourself...

how bad are we talking here, just a bit of a nob or all the way Axl ?

he would have to be seriously talented to put up with being a bellend, and even then i reckon 2 years before you had to give him a slap or leave yourself...

how bad are we talking here, just a bit of a nob or all the way Axl ?
    More than a bit of a nob.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I've been in bands with arsehole singists. Surely that's some sort of rule. So long as they can sing and put on a show, so long as they are professional and don't skip rehearsals or turn up late for gigs, so long as they don't shag the drummer's missus and cause endless rows, I don't really care how much of a nob they are.
    All practice and no theory
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I think it depends.

What kind of vile are we talking? If he's a kiddy fiddler then the gloves are right off. If they are knobbing someone else's wife then that's between the parties themselves as long as it doesn't impact the band (it usually does in the end). If the person treats their fellow artists like shit and doesn't appreciate their effort and input, then they can find a sucker to play guitar but it won't be me.

A band is a business enterprise and partnership, so will it reflect on you if this person persists?
    Are they likely to do the dirty on you sooner or later? If so get in there first.

By the way what is Liam doing these days?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    For the purpose of making minds up, how are we defining vile in this instance? In the Ian was-his-face case his vileness was illegal so doesn't seem to be what you're talking about
    IanSavage said:

Is this linked to the Ian Watkins thread?

I think so, I didnt want to have a go at any of the group directly as i dont know anything about them. 
    Myranda said:
    For the purpose of making minds up, how are we defining vile in this instance? In the Ian was-his-face case his vileness was illegal so doesn't seem to be what you're talking about
    Sorry my mistake, I thought i read somewhere he was judged to have been vile to his fans though not illegally. Before the incident he apparently wasnt very nice to other people (groupies if you like) and this was no secret. I suppose vile as in basically vile not necessarily Paedovile!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    oh, well in that case...

If a singer in a band I was in, was a baby-raper I'might take issue with them ... perhaps police would be called... or kneecaps pried off. But certainly they'd not be a singist in my band for long. 

You did say in the first post that not-illegal vileness was going on though... but he was being illegal
    Myranda said:
    oh, well in that case...

If a singer in a band I was in, was a baby-raper I'might take issue with them ... perhaps police would be called... or kneecaps pried off. But certainly they'd not be a singist in my band for long. 

You did say in the first post that not-illegal vileness was going on though... but he was being illegal
    Indeed, ive edited original post!  :)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I feel sorry for the rest of U2, but the money probably compensates.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I feel sorry for the rest of U2, but the money probably compensates.

That's unfair, Adam Clayton isn't that bad

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• You hear a lot of band'mates' say that they have nothing to do with each other outside of performing and recording.

But if I was walking into the dressing room/studio and someone was, say, taking advantage of vulnerable people, I'd definitely confront them. If they'd rather continue their exploits than have me in the band, fair fucks. Tara. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    One of the bands local to me has a singer that doesn't do rehearsals. That would do it for me.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

It depends if the person was someone I hung out with outside the band or not. I mean is the person a friend or a colleague.

It also depends on the crime. Lumping someone in a bar brawwl is one thing, kiddie fiddling is something entirely different.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    One of the bands local to me has a singer that doesn't do rehearsals. That would do it for me.
    Ha,

Just do the new song in the wrong key all rehearsed and polished so only the singer looks a twunt.
  • Depends whether there are legal implications, but mostly I would only get rid of a singer if I had a better lined up - which of course if s/he were an a-hole, I would be busily engaged in finding.  But if you are referring to a welsh band, that is what is known in the trade as a 'spoiled brand'. You have to get off and form a new ensemble.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau