NI Komplete Audio 6 for £139

What's Hot
Native Instruments have a festive deal if anyone's looking for a new interface. Brilliant bit of kit.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Interesting. I could do with a new interface. Not sure if it will work with my old macbook pro though?

It says instruments included, but gives no other info. I have often found that NI don't give details about products. I bought a ton of synth sounds from them years ago and the info was woefully inadequate (once purchased!)
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    i'm reliably informed theres one under the tree after subtly pointing out the price drop to her, so thanks for posting @Fretwired
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    Does it offer 4 inputs at the same time to your DAW?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Looks good but maybe too much for what I want. I understand you get great software with it but there are too many connections for me as a home user. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11912
    too many?
    you can use one if you  like
    axisus said:
    Interesting. I could do with a new interface. Not sure if it will work with my old macbook pro though?

It says instruments included, but gives no other info. I have often found that NI don't give details about products. I bought a ton of synth sounds from them years ago and the info was woefully inadequate (once purchased!)
    it's Usb and has drivers for Macs, just check the OSX version I assume

the instruments are a small subset of the Kontakt Komplete library as far as I recall 
  • I know I can use one but I had the Toneport UX2 for so long and only ever used one mic input and the one instrument input. TBH that's all I want, something compact like that (Focusrite Solo looks like what I'm looking for but I want to be sure it will meet my needs to a good enough standard before buying). 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2015
    I now have two Thunderbolt interfaces which I'd utilise if the cost of the hardware wasn't so much.

Others I'm looking at are basically the Focusrite products and Apogee
    edited December 2015
    Mackie Onyx Blackjack looks excellent.

Be careful - I've read online that if you use the Focusrite for guitar in, it has a high gain setting (10dB+) even when the gain knob is set to zero so clipping can be a problem.
  • Mackie Onyx Blackjack looks excellent
    I wouldn't give Mackie drivers the time of day. It took ages to get them fully working and Mackie have a track record in discontinuing support rather too quickly. 

Focusrite aren't too bad, they do seem to get mentioned with driver issues a bit much for my liking. As ever I'd mention the Steinberg UR22 because it really is idiotproof from use to driver installation and the driver software is rock solid. What sort of budget?  

edited December 2015
    I've got the money but I'd rather not spend more than I need to. 
    TBH I don't know if the issue is the Toneport interface or the Gearbox software. It served me well in past. If it's just the software I need (upgrade to POD Farm) I know I can get a discount on that. I want to make sure whatever I get is going to work and would rather stick with what I know, if possible.

--> I can just get a Toneport UX1 for £80 that goes with the latest version of POD Farm and be done with it, assuming it will work. I've done some more digging and I might be able to download POD Farm 2 to my current device for free and try that!
    Fingers crossed...!

Thanks for the heads-up there. Seems there are negatives for most of these interfaces, no clear winner. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    I know I can use one but I had the Toneport UX2 for so long and only ever used one mic input and the one instrument input. TBH that's all I want, something compact like that (Focusrite Solo looks like what I'm looking for but I want to be sure it will meet my needs to a good enough standard before buying). 

There is almost no MORE compact (and Beeejew!) AI than the KA6!

As has been said, you don't HAVE  to use the other inputs/outs but do you really never have a pal to jam with? Never want to connect to another music source and play along? Even if none of these things are remotely on the horizon you still get the best pre amps, converters and easily the best and most stable drivers you will find under £300, maybe more.

The KA6 is also definitely Win 10 ready.

Dave.

• I'm on a MacBook but I know it's compatible.
    Also recommended is an Apogee Jam (small, works, but don't know if with Tracktion) and Steinberg UR22.

• ecc83 said:

As has been said, you don't HAVE  to use the other inputs/outs but do you really never have a pal to jam with? Never want to connect to another music source and play along? Even if none of these things are remotely on the horizon you still get the best pre amps, converters and easily the best and most stable drivers you will find under £300, maybe more.

We could debate for hours on preamps and converters. I'd agree on the drivers though. 

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    ecc83 said:

We could debate for hours on preamps and converters. I'd agree on the drivers though. 

No, we couldn't. My KA6 pres etc sound just the same as my ZED 10s and the Frite 8i6 and the converters are audibly no different from my 2496 cards.

MAYBE someone with a VERY high end monitor setup and a VERY well treated room could differentiate them but then such a person would not be pissing about with 30yr old cards and sub £200 interfaces!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    edited December 2015
    It makes me wonder what the competition was. That's all. Not least because the UR22 has had a bit of a horrible accident today...

It works. But it's got cat sick on it. Ah!

• blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    KA6 is great chaps. See lots of people debating relative merits of such devices, this one does everything you want it to do and more.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Not that I need to but I now have £2k to throw at something like this if I needed :)
    Not that I need to but I now have £2k to throw at something like this if I needed :)
    throw it at some monitors unless you already own some great ones 

• @thomasross20 ;

If I had £2k to spend, it wouldn't all go on an Apple. I reckon that'd be a fun thread to start up, £2k - how would you spend it? :)