PM pop-up defaults

What's Hot
Hi,

Would it not be better to make the PM pop-up option non-configurable?...i.e. PM recipients will always get an onscreen pop-up when there's a new PM, but they can still choose whether or not to receive a notification email via their personal settings configuration.

Sometimes it can be difficult to determine whether someone's not responding to PMs out of choice, or simply because they're not aware they've got new PMs.  I know there are perfectly legitimate reasons why someone might be showing activity but not responding to PMs (time constraints, being on the move, etc.), but this would remove most of the element of doubt that a PM had just been missed or overlooked.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• On the desktop site if you click the cog, then edit profile, then notification preferences on the left hand side you can choose to receive an email.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited December 2015
    On the desktop site if you click the cog, then edit profile, then notification preferences on the left hand side you can choose to receive an email.
    Yeah, I know.  The problem is that an individual user can also disable pop-ups.  I think in the case of PMs, this shouldn't be allowed, as there needs to always be at least one active way of notifying of new PMs.

Maybe I've got this wrong...When we say pop-up, does that mean the blue-highlighted numbering of the mail/post icons under your username/ID in the left-hand panel?  I assumed that was what it meant, but I might be mistaken.
  • Ah sorry I misread your post.

I thought popup meant an actual on screen pop up when you were browsing.  I'm sure I've seen that happen to me, can't remember if I saw it on the desktop or the mobile site or both.
  • Ah sorry I misread your post.

I thought popup meant an actual on screen pop up when you were browsing.  I'm sure I've seen that happen to me, can't remember if I saw it on the desktop or the mobile site or both.
    Yeah, haven't seen an actual onscreen pop-up whilst using the site, but realised that might be what the option is turning on/off, and is nothing to do with the mail/post icons changing to blue numbered ones when flagged.  If that's always on, and isn't configurable, then there's nothing much that can be done about users ignoring them, I guess.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    Ignoring PMs might be a bit rude, but so what?

It's not compulsory to answer the phone when it rings either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ignoring PMs might be a bit rude, but so what?

It's not compulsory to answer the phone when it rings either.
    Yeah, fair enough...but if say, for instance, you've paid someone for something, and they're not responding to PMs, despite being online and posting responses to comments on other threads...well, that's not so good is it?

It'd just be good to have some kind of recognition that a PM has been read or received, so all element of doubt is removed.