Surprised! Maybe not

Guitar and Bass magazines gear of the year edition have as their winner of the best acoustic guitar as the Taylor 614ce (not much change out of three grand). Highly commended was the Martin 000-18E (just over two grand)and the Tanglewood TW130MCE for £369. Still a bit pricey for me but the most affordable of the three.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a taylor 816 and I love it. Great sounding/playing and looks great too
  • The 614ce is the pick f the Taylors for me personally. I own a brilliant 30th Anniversary Ltd Fall Edition.
  • Were your Taylor guitars 'set up' when you purchased them. Or have you had them set up after purchase? What I'm trying to ask is, is a set up included in the purchase price?
  • StanleyAccrington;903626" said:
    Were your Taylor guitars 'set up' when you purchased them. Or have you had them set up after purchase? What I'm trying to ask is, is a set up included in the purchase price?
    Every new Taylor I have ever played has been perfectly set-up.

Tonally they aren't everyone's cup of tea - but their playability is the best you can get in my view.
  • richardhomer;903689" said:
    [quote="StanleyAccrington;903626"]Were your Taylor guitars 'set up' when you purchased them. Or have you had them set up after purchase? What I'm trying to ask is, is a set up included in the purchase price?
    Every new Taylor I have ever played has been perfectly set-up.

Tonally they aren't everyone's cup of tea - but their playability is the best you can get in my view.[/quote]

I often read about Taylor having great playability. I just wonder what people mean when they say this and is it the neck profile that they are really referring to?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    It's both. They have a slimmer neck than most acoustics, and come set up with an almost electric-like action too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;904119" said:
    It's both. They have a slimmer neck than most acoustics, and come set up with an almost electric-like action too.
    I think taylor necks are no slimmer than Mod low oval or low prifile on Martin D28s
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    A bit of topic but I just got my 6 year old Grandson a Vintage V300 which was voted best guitar under £1,000 in 2003 by some magazine.  Didn't expect much but for the money (£132), or a lot more, it's incredible.  I'd happily play it myself.  The necks a bit on the slim side for me but it plays and sounds amazing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    buckfast said:
    ICBM said:
    I think taylor necks are no slimmer than Mod low oval or low prifile on Martin D28s
    The 312CE I had was slimmer than the DC1XE (mod low oval) I had. Maybe not a lot, but definitely slimmer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited December 2015
    buckfast;904289" said:
    I have a '91 D28 I've owned since new, with a Low Profile neck - every Taylor I've played has been slimmer.

There may conceivably be Martins where the reverse is true - but for overall set-up consistency, Taylor rewrote the rules.