Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

FINISHED (Just about) - compact JTM45 build.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    4114Effects said:
    @ICBM yep, running the bass at about 1-2 out of 10 on the dial. Toyed with the idea of changing the PI and V1 cathode cap to reduce the bass a little but I'm loathe to alter the circuit as it sounds so good. Loves pedals too.
    Have you got a bright cap on the Ch.1 volume pot? I can't see in the pic. If not, 500pF (not the daft 5nF they put on later Lead models!) works well. Although obviously not if you turn it up full :).

What's this running the bass at 1-2 thing? ;) I don't think I've ever set it anywhere other than 10 on an old Marshall :D.
    100pf mounted on the Bright volume pot, 500pf across the 470k mixer resistor. It's plenty bright, but also insane amounts of bass due to the 220uf cathode bypass cap on V1 and 100nf PI capacitors ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    why don't you change the taper on the Bass control. might be a more reasonable option than adjusting the circuit. spread the 1-5 range out over 1-9 etc
    ICBM said:
    4114Effects said:
    @ICBM yep, running the bass at about 1-2 out of 10 on the dial. Toyed with the idea of changing the PI and V1 cathode cap to reduce the bass a little but I'm loathe to alter the circuit as it sounds so good. Loves pedals too.
    Have you got a bright cap on the Ch.1 volume pot? I can't see in the pic. If not, 500pF (not the daft 5nF they put on later Lead models!) works well. Although obviously not if you turn it up full :).

What's this running the bass at 1-2 thing? ;) I don't think I've ever set it anywhere other than 10 on an old Marshall :D.
    100pf mounted on the Bright volume pot, 500pf across the 470k mixer resistor. It's plenty bright, but also insane amounts of bass due to the 220uf cathode bypass cap on V1 and 100nf PI capacitors ...

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    I would definitely go for 500pF - 100pF is the Organ model value.

You could also change the Ch.1 V1 coupling cap from .022 to .0022uF. That will make a lot more difference than the cathode cap or the PI caps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader
    Try the amp in different rooms before tweaking the bass, it may be excessively boomy in a small room or near a corner and then you can't turn the bass lower than 0. On the other hand you don't want to be left too thin either.

I am in favour of cutting the bass too, but normally use a mixture of smaller cathode caps and smaller coupling caps for Marshall Circuits
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Just seen this, Dan, this is utterly amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    And in the mean time, Blackstar are making ID60 solid-state modelling heads which are more than twice the size of this, and of which at least 50% is fresh air...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Really impressive!  Love my JM-45 (self built), and often wondered if it would work in a small chassis. Can I see a pic on top of a cab to get a better idea of size?
    I went down that route with my JTM45, there are plenty of cap changes that can reduce bass, but they all make it sound worse, I usually run my bass on zero at gig volume, I would leave well alone and just keep the bass down
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    I went down that route with my JTM45, there are plenty of cap changes that can reduce bass, but they all make it sound worse, I usually run my bass on zero at gig volume, I would leave well alone and just keep the bass down
    Wis'd. :)
    An amp building Wiz from an amp building Wiz :)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    An amp building Wiz from an amp building Wiz :)
    Ta :)