Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Woof- the thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Emp_Fab said:
    Not the best photo, but one that encapsulates Pugsley's character pretty well !

"What you got there ?  Is it something for me ?  Can I eat it ?"

"Left a bit.... left a bit.... awwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaahhhhhh"

"I wonder.... what is the meaning of life ?"

I dunno, to look at Pugsley you'd think butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    octatonic said:
    She doesn't slobber much, hardly at all really.

On a week day we get up around 6am.
    She gets up around 7am- taken for a walk by me, then has her ears and folds cleaned, fed, watered.
    She sleeps for a bit.
    The dog walker comes around 11am, until about 2pm.
    She doesn't do much in the way of strenuous exercise in that 3 hour period but it is enough.
    She mostly stands around and sniffs dogs bums when come close.

She then has a BIIIG sleep until we get home around 7pm.
    Another walk- usually with stick fetching.
    Another meal.
    A brush and a cuddle.
    Around 10pm we go to bed.
    She sleeps through until 7am the next morning.

Weekends, much the same, except we take her out for about 2 hours in the middle of the day- it is gently exercise, she doesn't do much else other than walking now.

We could get away with 40 mins of walking a day if we had to- but we take her out longer because it is more fun for everyone.

And they say it's a dog's life! But I bet there's a good deal of entertainment value you forgot to mention, eh?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    She has us in stitches constantly. ;)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27071
    edited December 2013
    OK, then...biggest to smallest. Mac (husky/collie/shepherd mix - rescued at 9 months after being found wandering Leicester, now 9-ish):

Less energetic Mac:

Dutch (pedigree chihuahua - rescued from a breeder who rarely fed him and whose kids had tried to drown him and broken two of his legs and his tail...no medical attention either, so he still can't walk properly 4 years later):

Ruby (also pedigree chihuahua, but very different to Dutch - she's 8 and is still a bundle of energy, not to mention a pint-sized killing machine):

<space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Poor Dutch :(
  • Drew_fx said:
    Yep - the state we found him in was horrific. He was basically just skin and bone, couldn't walk properly and was kept in a cage 24x7. They used him as a stud, so people would pay them £500 and their bitch would be chucked in the cage with him for the weekend.

We were there on unrelated business, but as soon as we saw him (and had the owner laughing about what their kid had done to him), I just said, "We're taking your dog. Call the police if you want, but I'm not entirely sure you really want to do that."

It took us a few months to get him up to a healthy weight, and while his legs are still gammy he bounces around quite happily now. He's actually got this weird way of running using only his right legs. Funnily enough, when he uses all 4 legs and wants to play, he's like a rocket; otherwise, he sort of hobbles around looking cute and sorry for himself. I sometimes suspect subterfuge ;)
    <space for hire>
  • We have mixed dogs and kids for 17 years. Never have a dog you couldn't pick up and throw across the room if you needed to is my philosophy. Although if @Richardj has kids he has either failed at that or is an Olympic weight lifter.

I'll have to see if I can post a picture of Sir Smellalot, the current Weary canine.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Brinn (of the bloodguard) the loveliest best natured dog we ever owned hands down, he is 12 and soft as shite and has only barked 4 to 5 times in 12 years and taken expception to one dog which was a twat to be fair (courtesy of the owners twattiness).

Every cat we have ever owned was the boss of him and he seems to think at times he is a big cat behaving like their mother, and being their bitch.

Baby Brinn.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/puppybrinn_zps66188ccb.jpg

Brinn and Jeri as a kitty

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/DSC00090_zps734437e6.jpg

Silly Mutt.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/IMAG0038_zps8bdf9b8e.jpg

Look at meee!

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/DSC00026_zpsf7eff74b.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/IM000001_zps00ae3f1c.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/IMAG0048_zps1b943760.jpg

Old Guy.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/johnnyurq/Our Pets/Brinn_1_zps0b85465a.jpg

Poor old dude's back legs are getting ropey and at his last MOT he is still in rude health despite it and not in any pain as yet.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    viz said:
    In that case Bertram, we're coming to you for our dog.
    :)

seriously mate,  if you're really not a doggie person and your hearts not in it,   dont get one. There a big responsibility, more dependent on you than kiddiewinkles.  
    How old are the kids mate ?  old enough to look after the dog, take it for walks. feed it  etc - or is that something thats likely going to end up being down to you ?    

If you're still thinking of it, and want something thats fun, uber  loyal and totally protective over the kids........ got to be a boxer. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Dad's Jack Russell pup. Sans brain it would seem.

"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    bertie said:
    viz said:
    In that case Bertram, we're coming to you for our dog.
    :)

seriously mate,  if you're really not a doggie person and your hearts not in it,   dont get one. There a big responsibility, more dependent on you than kiddiewinkles.  
    How old are the kids mate ?  old enough to look after the dog, take it for walks. feed it  etc - or is that something thats likely going to end up being down to you ?    

If you're still thinking of it, and want something thats fun, uber  loyal and totally protective over the kids........ got to be a boxer. 

it's going to be down to the kids and wife trust me - I'm never home anyway. Unfortunately it's going to happen because they all want it and are generally good diligent folk so I'm sure it will be fine. I'm hoping that somehow I will grow to love the little shit. I mean sweetheart.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Yep - the state we found him in was horrific. He was basically just skin and bone, couldn't walk properly and was kept in a cage 24x7. They used him as a stud, so people would pay them £500 and their bitch would be chucked in the cage with him for the weekend.

We were there on unrelated business, but as soon as we saw him (and had the owner laughing about what their kid had done to him), I just said, "We're taking your dog. Call the police if you want, but I'm not entirely sure you really want to do that."

It took us a few months to get him up to a healthy weight, and while his legs are still gammy he bounces around quite happily now. He's actually got this weird way of running using only his right legs. Funnily enough, when he uses all 4 legs and wants to play, he's like a rocket; otherwise, he sort of hobbles around looking cute and sorry for himself. I sometimes suspect subterfuge ;)
    Where's the 'respect' button when you need it. Fair play mate!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    We have mixed dogs and kids for 17 years. Never have a dog you couldn't pick up and throw across the room if you needed to is my philosophy. Although if @Richardj has kids he has either failed at that or is an Olympic weight lifter.

I'll have to see if I can post a picture of Sir Smellalot, the current Weary canine.
    Not entirely sure I understand.  If you have a Newfie, unless you beat and starve them, they are so devoted to the family discipline is just not an issue.  Sadly significantly more help and more use than our teenage daughter!
    Newfoundlands are gentle giants.
    Never seen a vicious one in my life.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    boogieman said:
    Richardj;95149" said:
    Mr Bear.

70kgs of Newfoundland style love and slobber.
    He's gorgeous. Wouldn't want your food bill though.

>:D<
    We use a high quality dry food from Canada, actually costs us less than £2 a day. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Richardj said:
    boogieman said:
    Richardj;95149" said:
    Mr Bear.

70kgs of Newfoundland style love and slobber.
    He's gorgeous. Wouldn't want your food bill though.

>:D<
    We use a high quality dry food from Canada, actually costs us less than £2 a day. 
    Origen?
    We feed Scarlett "Fish for Dogs".
    What, dogfish?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    What, dogfish?
    No, fish, formulated with a bunch of other stuff, that is nutritionally optimal for dogs.
    One thing about pure breed dogs is they can develop food intolerances.
    Bulldogs are known for it.

Most dog food is utter shite- the detritus of the animal (hoof and beak) compacted into pellets.
    Most brands are like that, even ones you think are not.

Origen, Taste of the Wild are very good brands- less animal derivatives in there, no low quality fillers (like cellulose- basically wood).
    You pay for it though.

Every dog owner should know this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
    It's deff a commitment. Not like our cat who eats our leftovers.