Recommendations on an all in one solution

GruGru Frets: 339
I appreciate that this may be frowned upon by some, but would work best right now. I have never owned an individual pedal, so thankfully don't yet know what I am missing.

I believe my options are either: Korg Pandora mini, Behringer V-Amp 3 or X V-Amp, Pod Mini or 2.0.

One thing I do want to try and emulate is the sound used on quite a few Embrace songs. A Vox AC30 with 1/4 delay and reverb (assuming boss pedals), but would also like other options and some good stock settings out of the box would be helpful. Being able to play through heaphones is essential.

However, be honest, if you think its something I would regret in 6 months please tell me, maybe to emulate certain sounds I would have to go pedals? Or would saving for longer for something like a Yamaha THR5 be a better overall purchase than my listed options above?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think you can do a lot worse than one of the Fender Mustang amps - I nearly went for one of the Yamaha amps but they really are just home practice tools, which is fine, but if you ever want to expand your horizons and get gigging you'll need something bigger and louder. The amp simulations are excellent (the Fender cleans are fantastic, but the AC30 is great too) and you can chain a number of virtual effects pedals into them, most of which sound good. I picked up a Mustang III from the old musicradar forums for about £140 I think, which will be good for everything until things great serious or money starts falling from the sky.
  • You *might* want to try a used Vox Valvetronix as this has nice voxy tones with a smattering of effects.  

As far as multi effects with amp modelling goes, I'd probably go with the Pod 2.0 out of that lot.  I'm guessing that's nearing the top end of your budget?

Used, a Zoom G7 (they go for around £100).  These are an earlier model than the G3 but apparently sound the dogs and have expression pedal and a token valve.  You could also look for a Vox Valvetronix foot controller, or desktop modeller used, as these have some great sounds in them.  
  •   For multi-effect units with modelling, the Vox Tonelab seems like a good buy.   The layout is logical and easy to navigate.

That's one big drawback to all-in-one units:  They're either hideously complicated to use and program, or they're HUGE.  If you want to a) keep your hair, and b) spend at least as much time playing as you do faffing about, make sure you take that into account.

There is a Mustang Floor as well.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Thank you for the replies. Certainly a few different thoughts. I wasn't aware of the other multi effect units so I will have a look at them.

I am still not sure about an amp, I should consider portability with the family, but I think my father in law would have kittens if I turned up with an electric and an amp. I do however understand a proper amp may be the best option at getting the sounds that I want.

Lots to think about.
  • If it's something small for home that won't look too hideous in the living room maybe the Yamaha THR series would be worth a punt. I've not heard them in the flesh but the YouTube videos make them sound awesome.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I continued to have a look at the suggestions and after reading more reviews on pedals (Boss BC-2 had good reviews) I stumbled across the Vox Stomplab 1G. After listening to some youtube vids, taking into consideration the editable user patches and looking at the price of £50 I decided to take a chance.

It should be arriving tomorrow, but as it is technically a birthday present I may not be able to mess around with it just yet. Booooo. However, I have some new strings that will keep me busy while I work out how to change them on a tone pro bridge.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Find a BOSS ME-5 and then you can get my UPGRADE tone set! 

Nice and analogue and the innards of the ACTUAL and  Vintage BOSS units!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Will kill your amp GAS too.