Bought a Martin 00-15m Any forum members got one?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 923
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow . Any forum members got one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi,I've owned many from the 15 series.I'am sure you won't be disappointed with yours as they fine guitars Big tip try light Martin Retro's on it and give them a week to settle in.ENJOY .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    edited January 2016
    Got it this morning sounds superb. Got it for more than £300 less than anywhere else. Bought a new old stock from a buyer on ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't forget it will only get better.
    Hi,I've owned many from the 15 series.I'am sure you won't be disappointed with yours as they fine guitars Big tip try light Martin Retro's on it and give them a week to settle in.ENJOY .
    I'll give them a try in the future.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    I've had the 1999 version with the mini-Schaller closed-back tuners, from new and I love it. These are fabulous,compact, light and loud guitars with a lovely slightly scooped midrange tone that suits finger-style and flat-picking. It's a great all rounder. My only criticism, and it's the same for almost all Martins, is the "medium" gauge fretwire they use. Personally I prefer chunkier frets,
    The trust rod needs a little tweek. What string height should I be aiming for.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 201
    edited December 2015
    Truss rod adjustment should be for neck relief and not string height.I suppose an average height would be between 2.5 to 2.8 on low E on the 12th fret.But it's personal choice really.Hope this helps.
    When I adjusted the truss rod on my Takamine it gave me a lower string height and it plays superbly. A quick look at the Martin there looks like there is to much relief.
  • markj;915891" said:
    When I adjusted the truss rod on my Takamine it gave me a lower string height and it plays superbly. A quick look at the Martin there looks like there is to much relief.
    Reducing the relief will lower the action - but it's a side-effect of adjusting the truss rod - rather than the reason for doing so.

With the strings capoed at the first fret and fretted using your right hand where the neck joins the body - there should be a gap of about ten-thousandths of an inch between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th/8th fret.

Once the relief is properly set, you can then judge whether the saddle is too high.

In my experience modern Martins are usually set up with an action that is a good compromise between volume and playability.
  • I think the medium frets are great for it. 
    I'd love one of these at some point. 
    OP is it the all mahogany one ? 
    Pics / vids / sound clips? 
    I've tweaked the truss rod just over a quarter of a turn and now the Martin plays beautifully. The action is not much higher than my Prs,s.