Blackstar ID260 - anything else?

RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
I'm about to downsize my rack rig with 4x12 into a convnient but large-ish combo.  The Blackstar ID260 looks just up my alley - stereo, still giggable if needed but small enough to please the wife and also loads of toys and fx to keep me happy too.

Is there anything else similar I should be looking at?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Fender Mustang IV is a 2x12 combo. From my experience of Mustangs and my brief one of ID's the ID's are the better bet for primarily rock noises. 

There is also the Peavey Transtube Special Chorus which is another non valve 2x12 but not so much of the toys and effects.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Fender Mustang IV is a 2x12 combo. From my experience of Mustangs and my brief one of ID's the ID's are the better bet for primarily rock noises. 

There is also the Peavey Transtube Special Chorus which is another non valve 2x12 but not so much of the toys and effects.
    Nailed it.  

I think these are probably your best bets.  I'd go for the ID or the Peavey, I prefer the noises they make, clean or distorted.  But the Peavey only has reverb and chorus. 
  • In my experience, the Vox Valvetronix 2x12" combos are damn hard to beat for pure sound - even after all these years, they're still head and shoulders above all the others as far as I'm concerned.

Damn, now I have to head back to the "All the amps you've owned" thread...
    <space for hire>
  • In my experience, the Vox Valvetronix 2x12" combos are damn hard to beat for pure sound - even after all these years, they're still head and shoulders above all the others as far as I'm concerned.

..and if they are good enough for Jeff Beck...

Actually I've no idea what model he was using on that Sky Arts programme but it was a Valvetronix and he was doing a rockabilly thing, bit of 60's fuzz and his more modern sound ( Fender VibroKing IIRC) with it. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited December 2013
    In my experience, the Vox Valvetronix 2x12" combos are damn hard to beat for pure sound - even after all these years, they're still head and shoulders above all the others as far as I'm concerned.

..and if they are good enough for Jeff Beck...

Actually I've no idea what model he was using on that Sky Arts programme but it was a Valvetronix and he was doing a rockabilly thing, bit of 60's fuzz and his more modern sound ( Fender VibroKing IIRC) with it. 
    I loved mine, which was the V2 - first one with metal plate on the front (ugly).  My mate has the 50 watter now, and had the plate changed on the front for a nice vox cloth and it looks lovely.  Sounds amazing, home practice, rehearsals and gigs.  And had a built in noise gate, which was genuinely useful.  To think, at the time, the alternative was the Line 6 Spider, which sold better... *shudder* the 50 watter now has a different valve in it (a Mesa) and apparently sounds a bit different, though not sure how true that is.

He paid £120 for it, but since the Jeff Beck, they might skyrocket in price.  

The first versions with blue cloth did more, and did sound better (they had wonderful Neo speakers, too) but they were unreliable.  Nickleback used one in the studio for Silver Side Up and whatever shite came after IIRC.  Might have even used it for some of the slightly better early stuff, but don't quote me on that.
  •  Well, I was going to recommend you try out a Mustang IV, but someone beat me to it!

I've owned a Vox modeller,(VT 20+- the latest incarnation) and while it was pretty good, it doesn't hold a candle to my Mustang soundwise or effect wise.  They are a nice amp- the control panel is laid out pretty well, and it's easy to learn to use.

Some interesting effects, like an acoustic simulator, a univibe, and a rotary. ( U-vibe is pregain, rotary is post)  However, the stomp effects only have a level control.  The mod/delay have level, tap tempo, and one other- usually speed.  Reverbs are also just level.  8 User presets.  The tuner works well, but, due to it's design only works for standard tuning.  Mine has no fx loop.  HUGE plus: The owners manual is very well written, easy to understand, and covers everything.  It's like they want you to be able to use your amp strait away... ( Fender, please take notice!)

Lots of amp models- 33 of them!  They aren't nearly as detailed or tweakable as Fenders, but with 33, they don't need to be that flexible.  I tended to use the US blues, and US 2X12 sections most often. 

I also tried out the ID60 the other day.  I really like the way it's laid out- choose a voice, set your eq, choose a power section ( or bypass that and go with the default).  Quite useful when it's a sound in your head you're trying for, and not a specific amp model.  As ICBM has said, the presence and resonance controls make a big difference.  As a Mustang owner, I found the stripped down effects to be a bit generic- you just get to control level and tap tempo.  No hardwired fx loop either- you CAN retask two of the sockets on the back to that purpose via Blackstar's included software.

I thought it sounded pretty good, but as it was the guitar I was really demoing, I didn't give it a real going through.  The Warm Clean and Crunch voices did sound rather nice with the Cabronita tele I had.  The master volume was very useful in controlling the overall level. ( especially compared to the 60 watt Super Sonic I also tried- Jesus, is that thing loud!)

I prefer the Mustang of the three.  Very good tuner- it's a typical chromatic set up, and is useful for any tuning.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth the journey.  As you are looking to replace a rack system, it should not be a problem for you.  The speaker(s) are VERY good, as is the modelling- I still can't believe how rich and deep the sounds it can get are.  100 user presets and a 4 button footswitch.  fx loop, XLR out, it's stereo, and it has separate jacks for both the 2 and 4 button footswitches.

I have to disagree with another poster inre the rock sounds.  There are plenty to be had in here, and the new V2 amps have an extra 5 models, inc a HiWatt, an Orange, '57 Twin, Silvertone, and a studio preamp.  That, coupled with a greatly expanded selection of dirt box fx- inc a Rat and a TubeScreamer.  Yeah, I'm biased- but rock/classic rock is what I like to play most, and this amp delivers.  It also takes pedals very well.

One last thing I like about it is that you can set it up to work in whatever fashion suits you.  If you want a "real" plug n play amp it'll do that.  If you want a clean platform for pedals, it'll do that too.  If you like to tweak and/or play with different sounds, this is the amp for you.  For what Fender asks for this amp and all the extras, it's a no brainer.

However, that's me.  You may have the complete opposite experience.  Definitely give all three a try and see which suits you best.  For that matter, you may want to give the Peavey Vyper VIP a go as well.  I've not tried it, but I like the concept.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    edited December 2013
    ooh, Roland GA-212. Looks are an acquired taste and I think they might be discontinued now but still some on sale at less than half price makes them an ID competitor. IIRC no onboard effects except reverb but designed much more as a stage amp and a bit less home amp that you might take to a gig.
    It's probably a no from @RobDavies but for the sake of completeness  I shall mention it.

Having said that about the looks still like a super model next to the Vypers. :-&
  • I have an alternative suggestion that might be a million miles away, but is a probable bargain.

Saw a Peavey revolution 1x12 on eBay. 2 and a half channels, basically a silver stripe bandit but with more switching and an extra master volume. For the money, you could get that and have enough change to run pretty much whatever external effects processor you like into it. You could even run one into the power amp in, giving you all the effects and amp models, or use the 4cm.

Wildcard as it's old, requires external multi effects for your uses and isn't stereo. If it is just a bandit but improved (I think it is) then it'll sound great and give you a genuine spring reverb, which is quite nice indeed :)

Other than that, I think most bases have been covered now!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    Thanks fellas.  I think I can discount the Roland and the Peaveys.  That leaves the original choice of the Blackstar ID260, Mustang IV and the VOX VT120.

I've only had a listen on Youtube so far but the Mustang seems the most versatile, and the Blackstar seemingly has the best sound - although it was Jamie Humphreys demo-ing it, so it's always gonna sound good.

The vox comes accross as a bit fizzy - although, as I said, I am only listening in Youtube at the moment, so I guess I need to hear one "live".

Also, without sounding like a tart, I'm not overly keen on the "old fashioned" looks of the Vox or Mustang.  The Blackstar looks a bit more "rawk" - if you get my drift. ;-)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Marshall do have a JMD:1 combo as well, which is a 2x12. Worth considering if you're a Marshall guy.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    RobDavies said:

Also, without sounding like a tart
    Tart. :))
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    i bought a blackstar id60 1x12 and didn't really like it...there were some clean and several dirty sounds but nothing in between that i could find...i sent it back due to the shop's fantastic returns policy

i also had a mustang 3 and really liked the sounds...but the cab felt so much like a cardboard box i half expected to find a tramp sleeping in it