Guitar shops, the good, the bad and the NGD

I have been circling around the idea of getting a resonator for a while now and really didn't fancy buying one I couldn't try even though something like a Messer is well regarded. PMT locally were very helpful (as usual) but only had a couple and neither knocked me out. Hobgoblin in central London were totally unhelpful even though they had quite a few to try. The sales(?) person left whatever she was looking at behind the desk to spend all of thirty second pointing out some really basic and obvious features before suggesting I just tried some and then returning to the desk and what was so important there. Truly awful service, guitars totally out of any sort of tuning, the shop was empty and I wasn't that impressed with the Ashburys and Regals on offer, neat and tidy construction but no real distinction to the sound. Round the corner to Wunjo for my first visit there and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and informative, spent a long time with various guitars, zeroed in one on which they offered to set up just how I would like if necessary (tech upstairs) and offered at a post Christmas discount price some 25% less than I had seen this particular model listed elsewhere. In short I now own a National Style O 14 fret which is absolutely gorgeous in all kinds of ways. Being a suburbanite I have tended to avoid Denmark Street but in this occasion I am very glad I visited.
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Sounds like a day well-spent, @chromatuna - if you can put it down for a minute, a pic or two would be good!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited January 2016
    Sweet :D It's ages since I've been in London/Denmark Street, but when I was I remember Wunjo being conspicuous by being really nice and helpful ("Try anything you like!" rings a bell, in fact IIRC they talked me into trying some stuff I hadn't even considered :D), compared to a lot of the other shops there.
  • Thank you for sharing your experiences in Denmark St. I would love to see your new National Style 0 14 fret and will also visit Wunjo the next time I am in the area. Good luck with your new 'playing partner'.