On Making A Classic Album With A Boombox

What's Hot
ChristophEarChristophEar Frets: 46
edited August 2013 in Music
Fantastic 5-minute interview with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, on recording his classic album "All Hail West Texas" using just a guitar and a boombox:

"Q: What were the pros and cons of recording this way? We know artists that spend months, sometimes years, editing and re-recording and separating out tracks... 

What's the benefits of sitting there with your guitar and a boombox and hitting 'record'?"

"A: Well, it sounds great.

That's the thing: when people talk about fidelity, I think they're imagining this sort of way of recording that will aspire to total clarity. But I don't look at it that way. I look at it like food. You can't say there's a 'best food'. There's just, foods taste different, and some of them taste really good to you."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I was 17 and just learning to play guitar I couldn't afford an amp let alone any effects or recording gear.

But I had great success (well at least great fun) creating elaborate multi-track compositions using the two boomboxes we had in the house - one of which was my sister's.

You really do build up a lot of hiss though bouncing from one to the other using onboard mics though. And the drums supplied by my ancient Yamaha toy-like keyboard were nothing to write home about.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    I think it a fine idea, some of these had great limiters that acted as automatic level control. It's an acquired taste but the oldest rule in the book if the song is great it does not matter what or how it's recorded. Ultimately it comes down to your song and your performance. These days an album on an iPad can sound pretty polished. So if you want a different sound then give it a try. Just make sure the material is good enough. That's what makes it work and compelling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom