What challenge are we going to do for 2016?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16956
    I guess we should decide criteria for success before thinking about a prize.

To me it makes sense to have a winner, but adding a prize and/or entry fee just muddies the waters and may put some off.... Unless the prize was split 3 ways or something so everyone still has a chance of winning

As an idea:
    * best build
    * most inventive/original build
    * best musical output

Really need more of us to make something like that work.

I would be happy to organise an 'inspiration' thread... Something that gathers tutorials on DIY slide instruments and organises them by difficulty. Would that be of use to anyone sitting on the fence?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27965
    Roland said:
    @TTony If we set a £10 entrance fee to cover the cost of a prize would you be willing to hold the stakes in the forum PayPal account?
    Yes, but ...
    WezV said:
    These challenges attract a wide range of entrants, with a similarly wide range of capabilities - which is what we want to happen.  For me, it's more about the taking part, learning and developing your own skills, and then completing the challenge by actually producing something.

Judging the entries and awarding a prize for "best" would just fill Wez' trophy cabinet (OK, he'd be in competition with a couple of others, but you get my point!).

It's a similar reason why we don't have prizes for the various making music challenges - it really is more about taking part and producing "something".

I generally dislike the "everyone's a winner, no-one's a loser" ethic of today's sports days, but in this situation I think it's appropriate.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    edited January 2016
    Me no like slide instruments so me no play. The problem I have with these challenges is that I would end up with an instrument that I probably wouldn't use but still have to house somewhere. That's what put mw off the last one. Happy for everyone else to do it of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

axisus said:
    Me no like slide instruments so me no play. The problem I have with these challenges is that I would end up with an instrument that I probably wouldn't use but still have to house somewhere. That's what put mw off the last one. Happy for everyone else to do it of course.

what happened to your piss poor joke about a cigar box guitar sounding smoking ;)

anyway - i guess thats the point of limiting spend and making it a bit different. 

Its a bit of fun which will either end with a) a useful instrument, or b) a useless object. 

Either way -  its low cost and cheaper than many other hobbies if you consider pounds spent per hour, and any real cost on guitar parts can always be reused on later projects

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    WezV said:

To me it makes sense to have a winner, but adding a prize and/or entry fee just muddies the waters and may put some off.... Unless the prize was split 3 ways or something so everyone still has a chance of winning

As an idea:
    * best build
    * most inventive/original build
    * best musical output

Really need more of us to make something like that work.

I would be happy to organise an 'inspiration' thread... Something that gathers tutorials on DIY slide instruments and organises them by difficulty. Would that be of use to anyone sitting on the fence?
    Wis'd

I haer what folk think about ending up with an instrument that would be of no further use, but it could be very cheap and would probably sell on the bay.....

I up for it for fun, but I think Wes' suggestions for more than one prize would perhaps keep some of the trophies out of his cabinet!......

Anyroadup, less waffle.......when do we start?.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I now have a box I can stick a neck on, what we doing
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    For me - to stick to promise to myself to be satisfied with my guitar gear - 10 years of wheeln and dealn and this year I want to play and form a band!!!
    May have missed the point. There is a challenge in the general guitar section for you to say your gear won't change in 2016. This is making and modding, we ain't shutting it down for a year ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    WezV said:
    I think we should go with your proposal:
    1. Some sort of slide instrument.
    2. Cost below £100. That's a real challenge, particularly if we include notional prices for bits from the "spares box".

Three awards.
    1. Best build, where "best" is decided by a vote of forum members.
    2. Most innovative idea.
    3. Best musical output, judged in July.

and I'd add one more:
    4. Most entertaining build thread.

Anyone disagree, or want to chip in with ideas?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    well here s a good starting point for anyone considering a cigar box style instrument
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    WezV said:
    I've had a dig around too and am pretty much good to go with a slide instrument, not a CBG.......what we doing?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

just started another thread
  • Where's the new thread...? Started on a 5 string oil can special...