Drunk Project guitar #1 - Finished and For Sale

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
edited January 2016 in Making & Modding
As you all know, financially things ain't what they were at Impmann-towers. Also I am beyond capacity for guitars. So therefore why is it that after a bottle of pre-Christmas cheer or two did I discover some purchases with an accompanying hangover?

I dunno, either... I blame the crap telly this year.

Anyway... I bought a neck from the classifieds in here. It's a Mexican job, possibly a classic player but not sure. Someone has sanded the finish back on the back of the neck and so I took a bit of 3m Finesse hand glaze and gave it a bit more of a lustre.

I had bought it with a different project in mind... So imagine my hungover surprise when I spotted that my phone had bid on a twin humbucker Guitarbuild body that had been painted in a dark blue metallic. The paint finish was described as being a bit poor, so I didn't hold out much hope. Still, it didn't cost a lot...

It arrived yesterday and I think the vendor did himself a disservice - the paint was fine, it just needed a polish. An hour with the 3m hand glaze yielded this....

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/7FDAB854-58FA-4EEC-87A7-463232552359_zpsrgqt0sob.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/5A36E3DB-F0AB-49A7-A234-7DC4A0CB306C_zps6l4iulit.jpg

To be continued...
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Yup - looks a decent body...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    So, I started digging out parts... The idea is to use up some of the bits and pieces I have sitting around.

For pickups, I have a pair of Handwound Kent Armstrong humbuckers. I did have them in eBay but the uptake wasn't exactly overwhelming... So they'll go in this. I also have a pair of push pull pots and a three way switchcraft switch.

I'd already bought a Wilkinson WV6 trem for another project, so dropped it into this. I had a neck plate from a Variax 600 in a box (nice thick, heavy thing) and I also found a pair of Dunlop strap locks. For knobs, I found a pair of old 1970s Fender Strat ones.

I've started putting it together and have had to open up one of the blocked up pot holes for the tone pot (not pictured).

The only parts I need are a set of machine heads and a jack plate. I've ordered both from Axesrus, so hopefully it will be up and running before the weekend...

I think it looks rather cool!!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/3AE19A17-B474-4695-9273-D05962B86F32_zpsdjumhlbo.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/3EDDEEBF-4F28-406F-9C50-1DD271173632_zpszjypgfw7.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3093
    Nice, I've done MUCH worse under the Affluence of Incohol….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sadly, this isn't the only project that the magic beer phone has bought in my abcence of mind...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16931
    i like the look of that - nicely different
  • I like it! Skip the pickup rings though and go with direct-mount fittings on the HBs, it'll suit the clean look imo. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've woken up to a damn sight worse!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3018
    guitargeek62;920708" said:
    I like it! Skip the pickup rings though and go with direct-mount fittings on the HBs, it'll suit the clean look imo. :)
    I concur !
  • I agree to^^

Either that or black pup rings to fit in with the rest of the plastics
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Not bad! I bought an Instant LoFi Junky on my credit card whilst drunk at my work Xmas party...oops
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And so its finished...

In view of the other *two* Chrimbo excess project guitars that I have on the go, I've decided to move this one on before I get attached to it. 

It plays great and sounds great... but I have too many guitars!!

I'll put a proper advert in the classifieds shortly.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I'm not going to buy it @impmann, but that's Beauuuuuuuuuutiful!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Unusual looking pickups. I quite like them. Rest of the guitar isn't too shabby either.
  • Not bad! I bought an Instant LoFi Junky on my credit card whilst drunk at my work Xmas party...oops

your music will be richer for it
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31105
    That is the sort of guitar Earl Slick or Andy Taylor would have played in the 80's

Nice work.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.