SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted: Carr Skylark

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    LeBarque....you play fair, you did the testing at Coda...why not buy the amp from them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    I can only afford to shop in the second hand market at the moment, @Lodious. I've bought stuff from Coda in the past and no doubt will again in the future. Great shop. By the time a used Skylark comes up on here, I'll probably have saved up for a new one anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited May 2016
    0% at Coda.... ;)

I briefly played the Lincoln last week, and it was very very impressive.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Lodious;1064841" said:
    LeBarque....you play fair, you did the testing at Coda...why not buy the amp from them?
    You mean I can't try an amp in a shop without buying it if I like it? :-?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Lodious;1064841" said:

To be fair, I don't think he can buy them from anyone but Coda !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Wazmeister;1072957" said:
    0% at Coda.... ;)

I briefly played the Lincoln last week, and it was very very impressive.
    @Wazmeister Not content with feeding your own sordid amp addiction, I see that you've now turned into a back street Carr pusher! 0% you say... :))
    Chalky said:
    Lodious;1064841" said:
    I think the idea is that you don't buy it if you don't like it, if you do like it, you buy it? Why else would you waste the shops time? There is a single demo room at Coda.  Last time I was there, a guy had installed himself in the demo room strumming open G/D chords on a 3.5K 335 + boutique amp for two and a half hours and walked out without buying a thing. I ended up buying an amp without a demo as I had to get back home and couldn't wait any longer, so a total waste of a Saturday.....because someone wants to play test pilots and thinks the shop is there as cheap entertainment (I'm not saying Lebarque did this)

Each to their own, but it's not like guitar shops are shitting cash at the moment. It's totally fine to not buy stuff after a demo, but IMHO it's less good to use the shop for a demo long enough to decide that it's definitely the amp you really want, then hit the classifieds with a wanted ad. 

edited May 2016
    It is difficult...

I must say every single time I've been to Coda, and it's a right trek for me, the service has been exceptional... that little room at the back is full of some great memories !

I bought a Collings acoustic last week, sold my Matchless Lightning and Taylor 614ce this weekend, and I'm very close to ordering that Lincoln :)

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Lodious;1073462" said:
    Chalky said:

Lodious;1064841" said:LeBarque....you play fair, you did the testing at Coda...why not buy the amp from them?

I think the idea is that you don't buy it if you don't like it, if you do like it, you buy it? Why else would you waste the shops time? There is a single demo room at Coda.  Last time I was there, a guy had installed himself in the demo room strumming open G/D chords on a 3.5K 335 + boutique amp for two and a half hours and walked out without buying a thing. I ended up buying an amp without a demo as I had to get back home and couldn't wait any longer, so a total waste of a Saturday.....because someone wants to play test pilots and thinks the shop is there as cheap entertainment (I'm not saying Lebarque did this)

Each to their own, but it's not like guitar shops are shitting cash at the moment. It's totally fine to not buy stuff after a demo, but IMHO it's less good to use the shop for a demo long enough to decide that it's definitely the amp you really want, then hit the classifieds with a wanted ad. 
    Ok so you and your better half are in the supermarket and on the shelves you suddenly see something a bit expensive that you both like. You go to put it in the trolley but your better half says "No, it might be cheaper at the supermarket over the road, lets go there and see." So you would tell her "No, Tesco put it on their shelves and we wouldn't have thought about it they hadn't done that, so we should spend the extra and buy it from here."

Really? No, of course not. Walking into a shop, looking at the goods, or taking up their offer to sample their wares - none of this affects your right to spend your money how you choose. Retail legislation is based on this principle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'll bear that in mind next time Lord Sainsbury takes a couple of hours out of his day to spend some time in the tasting room, giving me his time and experience on guiding me to the best baked beans.

I am a bad person....always thinking the worst. If I worked in retail I'd regard someone who tries stuff and when it's to his satisfaction goes somewhere else to buy it as a time waster, but now I learn that he was just 'taking up my offer to sample my wares'. My Bad.

• Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 76
    I've got to say, I did exactly this.  I went to Coda with the intention of trying a Skylark.  I was given the demo room to myself, had several other amps offered in comparison, and allowed to plug anything I wanted into it.  The fact that there are about 20 custom shop strats hanging up in that room was a nice bonus.

I probably could've saved a couple of hundred quid waiting for one to come up second hand but Doug and all the staff were great and it was an all-round awesome afternoon...  So I walked out with it and haven't regretted it!

It's a very very good feeling if you can stretch to it...  I say save up and help keep places like Coda open!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom