Xmas present help...

samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So its Xmas, and am thinking of adding an amp to my set up.

I wanted a smallish head and maybe a 1x12 cab (or may just use current 2x12).

the ones I'm looking at are VHT 12/20 and the Ampeg GVT 15w...i like the idea of a S/H Orange Thunder 30, but not sure how much low-end it will give with those EL84's.

I basically need a single channel amp as i play wth fuzz, so most of my dirt sounds come from pedals.

Any ideas on any other heads?

Budget is about £300 max, low wattage...with a dark sounding clean tone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mooer little monster *ahem*

Actually, it can be quite warm, but I wouldn't say 'dark' as such... 

Those ampeg ones are pretty dark (well, er...Muddy).  But my muddy might be your warm and dark?

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i would love to try the ampeg...and the VHT...only thing i'm going on is spec and youtube videos.

The one reason i like the VHT is the self biasing ability to put in 6L6/EL34...

with Biasing...can one put EL34 into an EL84 amp? is that possible and costly?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    ^ el84s use different number of pins (9 instead of the more usual 8), so no, at least not without massive mods. you can get adaptors to use el84s in octal socket amps, but i'm not sure I've seen anything to let you do it the other way round.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    thanks mate...i did some research since posting that, and yeah, its not worth the mod.

the reason i was thinking about that was because I saw a second hand Orange TH30.

i need to look at that Mooer little monster as well
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    no problem. and yeah unless you were capable of doing it yourself it'd be a false economy.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited December 2013
    samzadgan;97102" said:
    thanks mate...i did some research since posting that, and yeah, its not worth the mod.

the reason i was thinking about that was because I saw a second hand Orange TH30.

i need to look at that Mooer little monster as well
    Truth be told mate, as much as I'm looking to sell it, it's a 5 watt el84 amp. Might not be what you're after! It is a warm sounding amp, but it isn't what I would consider dark.

The darkest sounding clean amp ive heard would be the blackstar ID.

Edit: if you happen to pass Cambridgeshire, I'll let you try it out.