Private Parking fine

What's Hot
I just got a letter saying I owe £90 for a parking offence on some car park near where I live. 

Supposedly these are unenforceable (in Scotland?) and I know a friend who got lots of letters leading up to "court action" and then never heard again. 

I just know if I contact them I'll get roped in (even just to say I never saw any signs). 

Anybody experienced this? Should I pay!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I wouldn't and haven't in the past.
    They eventually fuck off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No response. No payment. Ever.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll pick up the letter tonight to read. 
    Supposedly it's an invoice and not a fine. 
    Pfft!

• Thanks, guys - think I'll just ignore it!
  • http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Appears if in Scotland even better chance of ducking out of this. Chancers!!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I've ignored them in the past

They get bored
  • Just ignore it.  They rely on harassing people into paying.  Utter scum.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Can't access the site here from work but I think its called fightback forums. I used it when a local council gave me a dodgy parking ticket an won the day from them. 
  • Councils seem to have some kind of appeal procedure, and they have legal clout, so if you get a ticket from a council the best thing to do is use the procedure in as a conciliatory manner as possible.

Whereas as has been said already - ignore the private chancers.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I have no idea about Scottish law and have successfully ignored private parking fines myself in the past.

However things may be changing :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3052063/Victory-parking-cowboys-Appeal-court-throws-chip-shop-owner-s-challenge-unfair-charges-park-private-land.html

Excuse the choice of website but it came up first in Google search.

It may simply be that he decided to engage with them rather than ignoring all their communications.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

I wrote to say I would be contesting it and never heard anything back.

Which was nice

• SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited January 2016
    I'm a fleet manager for a company with approx 1300 vehicles out there.........and these private parking nonces are a f***'in nightmare!

If it's a 'Parking Charge Notice' for one of these chancers, it's likely that they are merely playing the numbers game - some will pay up without a fight, some don't. If it's a more professional set-up (still chancers) they may try another few threatening letters, but in all reality, it's probably not worth their time.

Good luck!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Recently there was a ruling in an English court in favour of the private firm . THe short version:

When you use a private car park, you are entering into a contract, so the penalty is chased under contract law, as breach of contract. The terms are set out on the notice in the car park - basically, you park here for x time, for y fee and if you breach these terms, there is a penalty due. The penalty has to be reasonable and they have to give you an early payment penalty discount, with a mx penalty of £100.

So, the case in question, was the plaintiff challenging the penalty saying it was unfair etc. THe judge said that if he found in favour of the plaintiff it would potentially render all private car park charges unenforceable, so he set the precedent by finding for the car park firm.

This now means that in England and Wales, your chances of gettting away with a ticket penalty, if it goes to court, are much slimmer than they used to be.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    I believe that, in England at least, the guidance changed from just ignoring them to replying saying that you won't be paying.
    There's a forum here with loads of info: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Only the crown and the police can issue fines, everyone else issue "invoices".

So unless it's the council or police, they are not fines. They can however pursue the "invoice" in civil claims against you, albeit unlikely.
  • I hear that as soon as you reply to them, they have their hook in, so I'll save the letters and not reply. 

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Send them an invoice with a breakdown of your fees for processing their invoice.
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited January 2016
    I've had this with a notoriously twattish car park owner in Haworth in Yorkshire, unfortunately they intimidated me into paying there and then which was silly as they generally have no right to pursue it properly as I understand it. However since then I've been reporting him everywhere I can and also reported him to a charity he was supposedly selling books for in his car park which I doubted the sincerity of. I may also have sent him various loads of free sample stuff you find online from time to time so I do hope he's enjoying his lemon tree, his sample pack of tena Lady, his compost and his liquorice flavored tea (which I can confirm tastes like sweaty socks after a week in a damp bag)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    I hear that as soon as you reply to them, they have their hook in, so I'll save the letters and not reply. 

Have you read through that moneysavingexpert link you posted? I didn't think that just ignoring it was recommended.
    Do you know why you got the "fine"? staying too long? not parking in the marked bays etc?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.