1st attempt at soloing over a Southern Rock track using Logic as the DAW

What's Hot
I'm looking at specific areas to improve my playing and the best way is to record myself and listen back.
In addition, this will be an opportunity for me to learn to use Logic well enough so that my workflow is quick and consistent.

so here it is, my first attempt at Southern Rock

Backing track is from a Tim Pierce recording tutorial package I bought during Xmas.
Obviously the solo wasn't improvised and done in 1 take; it was composed, arranged and practiced over the course of the last few days.

Gtr: LP with a Thornbucker in the bridge (wanted to use mid. position with less gain but there was smth wrong with the wiring)
Amp: Boogie Studio pre- into torpedo live using a el84 power stage, a HiWatt 2x12 IR with Fanes and a Shure 57 near the cone.
Interface: Zoom Tac2 thunderbolt
DAW: Logic

What I find needs fixing:
-I'm playing ahead of the beat 
-I don't know what to do with my hands when I'm trying not to play and leave space
-When I take my fretting hand off the board I tend to slide, usually down. This is annoying
-My vibrato is a bit neurotic..
-I seriously lack vocabulary, don't know what I'd play if i kept going
-I need "mini-licks'' & tricks to connect phrases
-With the LP I need t watch not to bend notes out of pitch unintentionally as my hand slightly pulls the string down when resting.

The idea is to make this a regular series of posts uploading transcriptions, practice sessions like this and also samples from session work for customers. I will be soon add a camera in the mix and post proper videos.

Next up, my rendition of the gtr solo in Purple Rain, as I plan to play it with the band.

Thanks for listening.
Watch this space :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm no expert but I think that's a well constructed and phrased solo. Melodic too with some nice fills. Good job mate. I know what you mean about sliding down in between, I'm doing that all the time, I actually like doing it and the sound of it. I have however seen it described as the musical equivalent of saying "erm" or "like" when talking.

ERM.......     
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Dude I thought that was great !

Id be more than happy to play that....I really like those " cheap Trick " style up slides, I can never get my fingers there fast enough !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Sounds good to me and I think you've already identified the (modest) things you could improve on. Your first observation - and the first thing I thought when listening - was that you could try to lean back on the beat a little at times and give yourself a bit more space rhythmically. I think this would make it groove a little more and make some parts feel a bit more confident (if that's the right word). Very nice indeed though and thanks for sharing it, hearing others play is so useful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom