Rothco & Frost guitar bodies - any users here?

In the past I've used Warmoth bodies for partscasters and they've been very good. It seems there is no longer a Warmoth UK dealer and importing looks expensive so I've been looking around for an alternative and found the Rothco & Frost bodies.

I've seen that members here often use R&F guitar finishes, decals, etc but no comment that I can find on their bodies. I had in mind a tele swamp ash body and they have them in one-piece and two-piece construction at very reasonable prices -  link here (also on Amazon UK). They look OK although the quoted maximum weight (2.2kg - 4lb 13oz) seems on the heavy side for swamp ash, if they really are that. They quote the same max weight for Alder, which I've generally found to be a little heavier. My past swamp ash bodied teles have weighed in at little more than 7lbs total inc neck and all hardware (with Warmoth bodies), Alder bodied teles about 1/2lb more.

Anyone here have any experience of the R&F bodies?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    I've just got a 2 piece Swamp Ash body from RF.

It's good quality, proper vintage 50's routes and killer grain pattern. It is a little on the heavy side for Swamp Ash but I'm really pleased with it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431

miserneil said:
    I've just got a 2 piece Swamp Ash body from RF.

It's good quality, proper vintage 50's routes and killer grain pattern. It is a little on the heavy side for Swamp Ash but I'm really pleased with it.
    Thanks for the feedback. Mmmm it's the weight that concerns me a little. I don't think of good swamp ash as 'heavy' so I wonder why it is? Charlie Chandler has a knack of tapping a swamp ash body and telling you whether it will make a great sounding guitar or not. All to do with weight and resonance I think - and a good ear - and years of experience.

On the plus side it's good to know the quality is OK - particularly for that price.

Please let us know how it sounds when you have assembled the guitar.
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    The tap tone on this one is good and it seems pretty resonant so I think it's going to make a nice guitar. Will keep you posted.
    (formerly miserneil)

miserneil said:
    The tap tone on this one is good and it seems pretty resonant so I think it's going to make a nice guitar. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks mate. What do you have in mind for finishing the body?
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:

miserneil said:
    Thanks mate. What do you have in mind for finishing the body?
    I'm using their White Blonde & Clear Nitro. I have had great results in the past with their products.
    (formerly miserneil)
    Any progress with the R&F body @miserneil? I also wondered whether you weighed the bare body by any chance?