What's going on with the wah pedal here?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited December 2013 in FX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mXqpg-PTgk

At 4:15-ish, Andy kicks in a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q but the wah isn't really like any other sound I've heard - has he just turned the Q knob all the way up so it's as wide as possible? It's a great sound, almost like there's a flanger in there too - really mangled and crazy... shame about the Bigsby (ok, Bigsby-esque contraption).
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I dunno- sounds pretty much like a wah should to me.

I was surprised to learn that I've been mispronouncing Eko all this time. I thought it was like 'echo'. He says 'eeko'.  Well I never.
  • I think you're right about the high Q but picking the right sweep would also be key.  I'll have a quick bash on my CFH later on to see if I can replicate it to some extent.
  • Ok I sort of played something similar with a similar tone.  Is this what you meant? 

I did it with just fuzz to start and then wah second.  I had a play with the different sweep settings at the end using a low chord, not the best way to hear the differences in sweep (they sound very different across different registers of the guitar) but I think that was the flangery type of sound you were referring to?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yeah that's pretty close, thanks! I may need to pick up a 535Q when I build a smaller pedalboard in the near future, sounds brilliant.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
    edited December 2013
    That sounds a lot like how I have my BYOC set- loads of Q and mids is key, without too much treble. Far more interesting than your basic crybaby wackawacka sound
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Bucket said:
    Yeah that's pretty close, thanks! I may need to pick up a 535Q when I build a smaller pedalboard in the near future, sounds brilliant.
    I miss my old one to bits, it was modded to true bypass (which it needs, as the buffer is noisy and terrible and rubbish in every way).  

I was desperate for money so sold it on MR for £30.  SUCH A STUPID IDEA.  They really are nice, though I prefer the sound of the weeping demon overall.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited December 2013
    Don't forget to shoot it out with the Crybaby From Hell, which is what I have.

CFH pros vs 535q

+ Control of the top frequency of the sweep (means you can either have a smooth top end or the totally OTT ice pick in face metal top end).  I think the available amount of top sweep on the CFH is also greater, from memory.
    + LEDs, green for on/off and red for boost on/off
    + Foot pedal tension can be adjusted by an allen key 
    + Switchable output jacks (either right -> left like standard wiring or left in -> left out if that suits your board layout better).
    + Skateboard grip is genius, it really is better than rubber
    + All controls (except the switch for changing the jacks) are accessible on the outside of the pedal.  This is the same on the 535Q, so both of them have this advantage over the CAE wah which uses internal trim pots.

CFH negatives vs 535Q

- More complex, the extra top end control means you have one more thing to set up
    - More expensive
    - Camo paint job is not subtle

Personally I have had zero wah GAS since buying the Crybaby From Hell.  I can't find a wah tone that I like that I can't get near to with this pedal, so as far as I'm concerned I don't need another wah.  I went to the shop with the full intention of buying a 535Q and after trying the entire Dunlop line the CFH just seemed to have the best design, and most tones in it.  YMMV, try them both!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2013
    I was desperate for money so sold it on MR for £30.  SUCH A STUPID IDEA.  They really are nice, though I prefer the sound of the weeping demon overall.
    The Weeping Demon is what I use now as well - I'll keep it, of course, but on my big board. I'm going to be building a smaller board that would be easier to take to gigs and rehearsals, because my current one is about the size of Bedfordshire.

I wanted a Crybaby of some description to put on it, and I think the 535Q (possibly with a true-bypass mod as you suggest) may be it.

EDIT: Hmm, will look into the CFH too.
  • try the Dunlop MC404 CAE - I went through a number of wahs - and ended up there - not perhaps the most versatile but range of sounds are all usable and classy ... difficult to screw this one up 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72943
    edited December 2013
    I much prefer the old 535 (no Q) to the 535Q - it isn't as flexible but it just sounds better. My favourite ever wah, beating all the posh small-company ones I've tried.

I also like the BB535 and the CFH.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited December 2013
    Bucket said:
    The Weeping Demon is what I use now as well - I'll keep it, of course, but on my big board. I'm going to be building a smaller board that would be easier to take to gigs and rehearsals, because my current one is about the size of Bedfordshire.

I wanted a Crybaby of some description to put on it, and I think the 535Q (possibly with a true-bypass mod as you suggest) may be it.

EDIT: Hmm, will look into the CFH too.
    Ah, so the Weeping Demon is half the board...

Definitely mod the bypass - not necessarily true, but just not stock - it really is bad, and I've very rarely had bad experiences with bypass. 

Good luck hunting! They can be had pretty cheap, if they're beaten up - which a lot are, as it's a wah pedal.  

EDIT: If size is important, I think AMT do a proper little wah pedal that probably sounds great.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've got a 535Q that I don't use......mint with box, 9v version....open to offers
  • Oh yeah, other thing, my one was 18v though I've no idea how that differs. Maybe they fixed the bypass on the newer 9v one?