Dry January

What's Hot

Comments

• I've not drunk this month and in that time, I've already lost about half a stone.  Eating exactly the same as before, but by cutting out the beer alone it's made a difference!  

Good luck to the others who are keeping at it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I've not drunk this month and in that time, I've already lost about half a stone.  Eating exactly the same as before, but by cutting out the beer alone it's made a difference!  

Good luck to the others who are keeping at it. 
    Fantastic, well done. I haven't actually weighed myself but I've definitely lost a bit since Christmas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    I've definitely lost a bit too, even after only two weeks. I don't generally weigh myself, but the beer bulge I have started to develop has got smaller.

We have made a commitment not to go back to our old ways from February onwards, although we won't be giving up drinking. Halving the intake is the target - which should be easily achievable I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I'm toning down to Carlsberg as it's light and cheap and bubbly and I hate it.  I woke up wanting a bloody beer.  I love beer.

Whys is decent beer so expensive.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    I haven't had a drink this January, have always had a month off every year but beginning to think that maybe February wouldn't be hard either, the weight loss is pretty good.

Could never be teetotal though, too boring.
    I just don't understand the connection between drinking and weight, I'm down to 11.5 stone now and drink shitloads of beer.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    Sambostar;939292" said:
    I just don't understand the connection between drinking and weight, I'm down to 11.5 stone now and drink shitloads of beer.
    In essence, calories; in particular those in alcohol, over and above those you gain from food intake.
    Ah, in that case you want a physical job and skip lunch.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    Things are getting wobbly...just checked the calendar and realised there is another weekend to go...I might need a group hug :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I've only drank two and a half pints since December 30th. That was last night when I was meeting up with a prospective guitarist, so felt rude to not drink!

Overall though, not sure I really feel any different. The 'quit booze' hype is certainly wearing off.
    I'm on my seventh Stella....Way hay!
    Sambostar said:
    I'm on my seventh Stella....Way hay!
    I'm not drinking and I've given up milk. Haven't had any milk other than soy for almost a month now. Not because of "blood cells" you understand. Just to experiment and see what it does to my mucus production. Want to see if it makes any difference to my voice.

Ahhh.  The girl I used to sing with mentioned something like that.  She had some 'Cheese' and couldn't sing very high or something.

Apparently it's true, her singing teacher said the same.

Milk is gross.

I grew up eating dry cereal, plain toast without butter or marg and no milk in mashed potato, soup or pasta.  Can't say I missed it.

Although what is left of what pertains to be my teeth is completely shit though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:

Ahhh.  The girl I used to sing with mentioned something like that.  She had some 'Cheese' and couldn't sing very high or something.

Apparently it's true, her singing teacher said the same.

Milk is gross.

I grew up eating dry cereal, plain toast without butter or marg and no milk in mashed potato, soup or pasta.  Can't say I missed it.

Although what is left of what pertains to be my teeth is completely shit though.

Have you thought about getting new teeth?
    5k a tooth.  I prefer the removable options on the NHS when it inevitably comes to it.  I've had my good times though and chewed lots of food so hey.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    tone1;944955" said:
    Things are getting wobbly...just checked the calendar and realised there is another weekend to go...I might need a group hug :)
    Did you last the night? I'm still dry in 2016 but yesterday certainly tested that, no accounting for people acting like idiots (in the real world, not this forum). agree with @drew_fx, if there was a novelty it's certainly worn off now. I've not been convinced being teetotal is the way forward. It's been a good experiment but I've not personally noticed any great difference in myself. Maybe a bit more grumpy cause I can't have a bloody beer ;)

• LodiousLodious Frets: 2012
    I've managed to stick with, although last night I cheated by going to bed at 8:30. The fact is I love beer and I love relaxing with a drink.

I am miserable as fuck right now, but I don't want to go back to where I started from. Giving up has been both easier and harder than I thought...I'm fine with not drinking, I just find it hard to be happy without a beer to look forward to. I hope it will pass, I've been cycling lots, doing stuff round the house, been practicing and playing more, I've lost some weight. All positive things, but I feel miserable as shit.

It's not helped that the money I had earmarked for a Jazzmaster all evaporated last night with 4 bills landing on the same day. January is shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    edited January 2016
    eSully;945166" said:
    [quote="tone1;944955"]Things are getting wobbly...just checked the calendar and realised there is another weekend to go...I might need a group hug :)
    Did you last the night? I'm still dry in 2016 but yesterday certainly tested that, no accounting for people acting like idiots (in the real world, not this forum). agree with @drew_fx, if there was a novelty it's certainly worn off now. I've not been convinced being teetotal is the way forward. It's been a good experiment but I've not personally noticed any great difference in myself. Maybe a bit more grumpy cause I can't have a bloody beer ;)

[/quote]

I'm still good thanks, I did a whole year off a while back so I should be able to last the month...well saying that I had the intention of stopping for stoptober (October) but relented by the 24th which just happened to coincide with the School holidays..Kids drove me to it..
    I'm not a big drinker, just like a glass of Red Wine and rarely have beer or spirits in the house..

Things I've found
    1. I've lost a few pounds (4)
    2. Comedy shows aren't that funny
    3. I like earl grey tea
    4. No massive increase in energy yet
    5. No heart palpitations (had them a bit last time)
    6. I have felt weird at times
    7. I'm with @Lodious on all of his points..

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Yes, I'm definitely missing having a beer. It's not like a craving and I don't feel miserable, but I will be having one on February 1st...

It's been a worthwhile experiment to see what difference it made, and I do definitely intend to drink less now, but I just like beer, and alcohol.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have got off quite easy for some reason, much easier than that time I tried to give up dairy for about two days! Got a gig on 29th to finish off the month with a challenge. I have done enough gigs now that I don't need a pint to take the edge off before we go on, so it should be fine.

I have been thinking about it a lot and the only thing that would scare me about being a non-drinker is going to sleep in a tent at festivals! although I suppose I could use the money I save to sleep in the nearest Premier Inn. :)

Well done to those who are staying the course, especially if it is a test of willpower.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.