Did I strike Gold?

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222

My tech thinks it's a 70s version, but modified with a 3.5mm Power input, similar to the ones used in an Ibanez TS808.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    That's exactly what it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing. I have one of the reissues and don't use mine as it doesn't have a power supply. Let us know what it sounds like. Apparently Jeff Beck used one a lot...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I expect it sounds exactly like yours. It's a fairly clean boost with very responsive treble and bass knobs. It goes crazy when you get to the end of the gain range. There isn't a middle ground, it goes from clean boost to incredible distortion, verging on fuzz.

It isn't a pedal you can use to get different tones for different parts of the same song because there isn't a volume knob. When you turn it on, it WILL be loud. Great for Solos. The modern re-issues have the inclusion of a volume knob on the side because of this.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    the condition looks really good
  • My word.  :)
    It is incredibly clean. I was convinced it was a reissue until I opened it up.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited December 2013
    Branshen said:
    I expect it sounds exactly like yours. It's a fairly clean boost with very responsive treble and bass knobs. It goes crazy when you get to the end of the gain range. There isn't a middle ground, it goes from clean boost to incredible distortion, verging on fuzz.

It isn't a pedal you can use to get different tones for different parts of the same song because there isn't a volume knob. When you turn it on, it WILL be loud. Great for Solos. The modern re-issues have the inclusion of a volume knob on the side because of this.
    I know nothing about these, but that doesn't sound so great - maybe the components are a bit old and worn and making it not work right? 

Or it's just a weird vintage design that happens to work like that. Either way, it don't 'alf look cool! And ti does look brand new, nearly.  Result!
    @theprettydamned Yea, it's sounds a little funny on paper, but it makes sense when you play it. Internet knowledge report the same.

"The drive control really does not do much, but when you get to the 90%-100% setting, the doors open wide. A very nice vintage Fuzz Face type overdrive blasts in. Nothing quite like it. Great for vintage '70s rock."
  • Branshen said:
    @theprettydamned Yea, it's sounds a little funny on paper, but it makes sense when you play it. Internet knowledge report the same.

"The drive control really does not do much, but when you get to the 90%-100% setting, the doors open wide. A very nice vintage Fuzz Face type overdrive blasts in. Nothing quite like it. Great for vintage '70s rock."
    Very cool.  I've just listened to a demo and it sounds pretty unique, and like you said, utterly bonkers at the maxed out setting.  Nice!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Funny how people go mad for this kind of stuff now :). Yes, it's really cool. But for about thirty of the last forty years, it would have been considered a terrible-sounding, almost uselessly unsubtle attempt at an overdrive pedal from before the pedal companies worked out what overdrive pedals were meant to sound like ;) .

Similar to how a lot of the boutique pedal builders are re-discovering incredibly basic distortion circuits from this era, dressing them up with fancy names and marketing them as the latest "amp-like" "transparent" "overdrive" pedal…

It's a fuzz, and a pretty crude one at that.

I love them :D. I wish I'd kept the one I had… :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    Madbean does a PCB called the Cherry Bomb of you fancy building yourself one on the cheap. It's a Coloursound OD with an additional vol knob, which is quite handy given it's prodigious output (it is about the highest gain OD I've ever encountered). Love them.
    Just to conclude this thread. I sold this to a USA pedal dealer for a very decent profit.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one!
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    I had one back in the day.  Hated it.  But then I was putting it through a £10 practice amp, so not the best platform for experimentation.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited May 2014
    ...this old Fuzzy-Wuzzy gear has such limited use nowadays. You are really lucky to get one setting that is half usable - unless you in some lo-fi punk outfit -  It is all romantic bollcaks really. 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Branshen said:
    The best way to use it in my opinion is as a boost into a dirt pedal, overloading it.
    Yep, I have the germanium reissue with no extra volume knob, it sounds fantastic as a clean treble boost into a crunchy amp. I never turn mine up til it self-distorts, just because it can doesn't mean it has to.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    Branshen said:

I know nothing about these, but that doesn't sound so great - maybe the components are a bit old and worn and making it not work right? 
    That's all sounds right. The CSOD has a massive range on tap. From light boost/OD to full on distortion bordering on fuzz. The vol control is really needed though, they have a ferocious amount of output. Proper Baxandall stack on it too. They're magnificent things.
  • juansolo;229244" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Branshen said:

That's all sounds right. The CSOD has a massive range on tap. From light boost/OD to full on distortion bordering on fuzz. The vol control is really needed though, they have a ferocious amount of output. Proper Baxandall stack on it too. They're magnificent things.
    Yeah, I went on to look at demos of them, such a bizarre pedal!

I reckon I could have a right laugh with a strat and one of those.

Baxandall? I have heard that before. Is that a hi fi style eq? I think there is a 70s style amp that has one of gak...