Squire standard Tele build

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
edited January 2016 in Making & Modding
I bought this in a bit of a mess, lacquer cracked at neck joint, no pickguard and the thinnest olympic white paint ever, it was so thin you could see grain in places and not in a good way. The headstock had the Squire logo removed so I am trying to source a matching one. Ordered a similar one for now but not arrived yet.
I wanted something bright so I chose ford orange pearl (focus RS)
The painting went great but unfortunately the fourth coat of lacquer orange peeled a little in the cold. Doesn't matter as it will be getting polished and two more coats when it's warmer weather.
I went for a black pickguard but think I may change it for a bwb 3 ply.

http://i63.tinypic.com/6fnhw2.jpg
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Looks great - nice colour choice. You're a bit of a prolific guitar modder/putter-togetherer are you!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited January 2016
    This was one of the ones I bought hoping to get a slimmer neck for my other Tele. It was pretty much the same :) which is the problem with buying blind.
    I am hoping to get some kind of training soon as I'd like to start small turnover a furniture / guitar business eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Looks brilliant - would never have thought that colour would look so good on a guitar
    Stop crying, start buying
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Given the colour, perhaps you should have gone for the orange peel texture all over. :)
    edited January 2016
    edited January 2016
    I have seen people talking about this mesh for sanding so picked some finishing grade up from Halfords today, what cool gear it is! Gave it a go over with the mesh before using the polishing foam pad on my £25 Lidl sander with some t-cut.
    Will still give it another few coats of lacquer though as its not 100% and the orange peel bothers me, but them there pads are pretty impressive!

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lldiq0.jpg
    edited January 2016
    Sorry if my updates are boring you all. Hopefully helpful to anyone doing this stuff.
    Well the Squier logo is on finally, 6 coats of lacquer and a lot of very careful sanding later.
    Basically a good coat of lacquer and 1000 grade wet and dry over the logo only to bring it level with the surrounding surface.
    It should have been black bordering gold but had to settle for the reverse instead. The Squier logo was the only thing gone, the telecaster standard part was left behind so that area has a bit of yellow nitro or something. I blended it as best I could and it's not massively obvious.

http://i65.tinypic.com/sbk8ee.jpg