Inspired by Dusty bass...…..Finished!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
edited January 2016 in Making & Modding
So, on occasion I like to faff about on just 4 strings and then only the root note on the the first beat of each bar, there that got the bassist bashing out of the way!........

Anyroadup, I really like the Dusty Hill (Root notist on the first count of each bar in ZZ Top) signature bass, its a Fender Custom Shoppe and the RRP is agout £3.5k, to be fair as much as I like it and guitar boutiques sell em for about £2.5k, I wouldn't part with that many Red Wine/pie/cake tokens, I have a figure to maintain, in fact I think £350 would do, but I digress...

I could build one, not a slavish replica, but something INSPIRED by the bearded one......so I started searching for parts, a reverse head bass neck is a rare beast indeed, in fact Unicorn horn, secured with unobtainium would be easier......especially as I have a penchant for the narrower Jazz neck.......

OK so I put out feelers for a Left hand Jass Bass neck and eventually am offered a Southpaw neck from a Harley Benton Jazzer on Basschat......woohoo! I'm in business!

A 51 P Bass body from an ebay manufacturer in Italy is puchased...

A bridge and chrome control plate from across the pond......

Tuners are in the parts box, along with a Jack plate

A hand wound vintage stylee pickup from Spain.....

Some parts arrived today and tonight the pink one is on night shifts.... cue Hammer House of Horror sound effects, the kitchen will be a bomb site!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments