Proposal for Quarterly Forum Competition

What's Hot
So I think like the T shirt designing we need to get forum members envolved in more things together.

What I propose is that every 3 months there is a forum competition which revolves around inviduals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rule layed out for that particular competition.

For Example: The first competion would run from the 1st of Jan 2014 (this is the date the rules of the competition would be posted)

And the competion could be to produce a cover of Sam Cookes - Wonderful Life
People would have up until mid March to submit their songs (via a forum youtube account (video not required but is optional)) after which there would be a 2 week voting period and the voting would be limited to forum members and undertaken via a forum poll.

The winner would recieve a prize of somehing music or guitar related (either supplied by a sponsor of pooled together from cash donations from forum members)

For the first competition I propose that the prize is something valued around £50 and if neccesary I will provided the prize for the first competition myself.

I think this is realy important for the forum and not only will it encourage people on here to actually to do a bit more practical music stuff (lets be honest some of us are quite lazy) it will alos hopefully attract new members and also create a really great community activity.

Anyway that is my proposal and I am happy to set up a youtube account and provide the first prize, if anyone has any opinions on this please post away.

I have been talking about something like this for a long time and feel that now we have out own forum it is the perfect time to start it (new year coming etc).

The rules of each competion could be decided on by a panel of forum moderators and should be quite varied every quarter to ensure everyone has a fair chance of winning.

There could be competions on writing a jazz song or doing something with a russian vibe or whatever............

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I'm liking the idea, maybe a catagory for Solo effort and one for collaborative or perhaps contributors could post the results with a description of the process and how the files got passed around or musicians visited to do thier bit. Maybe every 3 months is a little too often but its a good lead time once the challenge is set.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah a Solo and Collaborative catergory could work.

We could do every 4 months instead
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like an idea.

Not sure a "prize" is necessary - the recognition of fellow forummers might be enough (?) - but that's not a biggie.

There is (was??) a kind-of compo running in the technique section IIRC, though I've not looked in on that for a depressingly long time.  

@BigJon spends a lot of time organising stuff in there.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • The prize is just a way of encouraging people to be active and also encourage new members, plus if it gets big enough we could probably get sponsored prizes.
    Old Is Gold
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I have to admit that the word 'competition' puts me off. I'm all for a bit of a challenge, but I don't have the skills to feel I could 'compete'. I spent over a decade at the Petrucci forum, and they used to have a lot of 'jam over this' sessions. It was quite fun. 
  • well we can call it Jam Time! or something that is no problem

Old Is Gold
  • I've been taking part in a similar "challenge" type thing for about 4 years now on Soundclick. Different theme every month, 2 weeks to compose, record and produce original compositions. They are great fun, nearly all the tunes on my account are from them. This month is Egypt, only have about 10 days left! Deadlines are brilliant motivators :-O

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Challenge is a good word
    Old Is Gold
  • Challenge is a good word
    Aye, at the end of the day it's all about pushing yourself as a musician or composer. I've done some things I would never have dreamed of trying in the past, and tried styles I'd have baulked at that I enjoyed immensely. Bluegrass was an interesting one for someone who mostly does fusion-y shred!

One challenge was simply "Space". I had no clue what I was going to do, but ended up looping various samples from Jodrell Bank of radiowave emissions from Pulsars to form a drum beat and went from there!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    So I think like the T shirt designing we need to get forum members envolved in more things together.

What I propose is that every 3 months there is a forum competition which revolves around inviduals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rule layed out for that particular competition.

For Example: The first competion would run from the 1st of Jan 2014 (this is the date the rules of the competition would be posted)

And the competion could be to produce a cover of Sam Cookes - Wonderful Life
    People would have up until mid March to submit their songs (via a forum youtube account (video not required but is optional)) after which there would be a 2 week voting period and the voting would be limited to forum members and undertaken via a forum poll.

The winner would recieve a prize of somehing music or guitar related (either supplied by a sponsor of pooled together from cash donations from forum members)

For the first competition I propose that the prize is something valued around £50 and if neccesary I will provided the prize for the first competition myself.

I think this is realy important for the forum and not only will it encourage people on here to actually to do a bit more practical music stuff (lets be honest some of us are quite lazy) it will alos hopefully attract new members and also create a really great community activity.

Anyway that is my proposal and I am happy to set up a youtube account and provide the first prize, if anyone has any opinions on this please post away.

I have been talking about something like this for a long time and feel that now we have out own forum it is the perfect time to start it (new year coming etc).

The rules of each competion could be decided on by a panel of forum moderators and should be quite varied every quarter to ensure everyone has a fair chance of winning.

There could be competions on writing a jazz song or doing something with a russian vibe or whatever............

This already happens in the Studio and recording section .. an excellent idea by the way.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Thats looks interesting, I have to say I never go in that section and knew nothing about it! I think we can build on all the cool riffs and everything and get people to start composing cool songs.

Jan 1st it shall begin

The Fretboard Music Challenge #1

Old Is Gold
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    I hardly play at all these days and have felt I have nothing to contribute to this forum for the last few months despite being a financial contributor in its beginning.
    I have had a bottle of wine tonight and this challenge of yours sounds like just the thing I need!
    Tomorrow however, with no wine, will be a different story and therein lies the problem. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'd be up for this. sounds proper fun.
  • DiscoStu said:
    I hardly play at all these days and have felt I have nothing to contribute to this forum for the last few months despite being a financial contributor in its beginning.
    I have had a bottle of wine tonight and this challenge of yours sounds like just the thing I need!
    Tomorrow however, with no wine, will be a different story and therein lies the problem. 
    Dont worry it is a friendly affair and nothing to worry about, it is for forum members only it should be good fun a chance to be creative.

I know you wil be able to do something for it even if you have to do it while on wine :-)

Plus a bonus prize!
    Old Is Gold
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734

Plus a bonus prize!
    More wine?
  • This sounds awesome.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    edited December 2013

IanSavage said:
    Where do you lot get your time from? :o
    I have a watch. It's like a miniature clock that you wear on your arm. You have to look at it to tell the time though.
  • Great idea! Probably don't need to be so hardcore on the prize though. I think it'd be good but if some people are significantly better than others, they'll be harvesting the prizes.

Could maybe have the winner gets some booze and a pack of strings. And if someone wins it consecutively they should volunteer someone else's version to be in the spotlight and donate their prize to them.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    IanSavage;98455" said:
    Where do you lot get your time from? :o
    I don't have a TARDIS but do own a TURDIS (AKA the dunny) which if it was a bad curry or summat it cam take you through time, or maybe that was the meds.
    :D

Time is a relative concept and as some of my relatives are dicks I don't visit them so save oodles of time to waste in ever more pointless ways.