Invisible waterslide clears.

What's Hot
Are there such things? Got some cheap ones of evil Bay but they are Gash, you can clearly see the clear section even after lacquer.
It goes a bit milky and is only clear when head on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    The laser ones I used to use were fine on pedals. You could see the edges if you weren't cunning about it, but they were pretty clear.

I got 'em here:

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Laser-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_155.htm
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Cheers @sporky
  • Were you using inkjet or laserjet? 

In the case of laserjet it's just building up enough coats.  However with inkjet because you have to coat it try and use the same lacquer as it is possible to a.) get a reaction and b.) notice that just like whites, not all clears are the same colour.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    I'm not sure @randomhandclaps I bought the squier logos themselves. I used cellulose lacquer on the bare wood, flattened it till very smooth and applied the transfer, then added more lacquer but it went cloudy white. My Dad has a colour laser printer so I will ask him to do me some.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    +1 for crafty computer paper. I have used it a few times.
  • The thing I've learnt about getting a decal to look invisible from model making is that you need a really glossy surface on which to apply the decal, and then to apply more gloss over the top to get it to blend in, before whatever final coat you may put on.
    Thick decals will always show up.
    I've used clear inkjet decal paper from Expert's Choice and Mr Decal Paper (what else was he going to do with that name?) with good results. I seal the printed decal with Microscale Liquid Decal Film.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Best results I've ever had are with Rothko & Frost custom decals, they use incredibly thin film which is a bit more delicate to apply but the end result is amazing.
    The MrDecalPaper stuff is ok, I found if I cut a piece to overlap the headstock edges and trim it back then I've only one edge to hide, and I get that (on 3+3 headstocks) between the top two tuners so it's much easier to hide.