Mexican Fenders

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    close2u said:
    @MattFGBI

Is it still true (was it ever) that MiM bodies are more than 2 piece?

If 'depends' please elaborate on which ones etc.

And, which MiM models do / do not match the spacings of the MiA?
    I'm not Matt but I doubt you will find a two piece MIM, most of the US standards are three pieces.

MIM standards were five to seven piece veneered bodies in the past not sure they are now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So were USA bodies in the 90s, veneered over to hide the joins.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I'm not sure that it matters at all. Most of the sought-after vintage alder-body Fenders are at least three piece, although many 50s ash ones are two.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    You'll find Mexico bodies are normally 3 or 4 (more often 3) and the US ones will be 2 upwards, but again, mostly 3. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited January 2016
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2016
    MattFGBI said:
    You'll find Mexico bodies are normally 3 or 4 (more often 3) and the US ones will be 2 upwards, but again, mostly 3. 
    my Strat is a 3 piece.. it's a 1978 ash USA
    play every note as if it were your first
    That looks more like the late 90s period, both Mexico and USA. I haven't seen enough sunburst recent ones to know whether they continued it in Mexico or not, although they definitely stopped on the US ones around 2000.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11723
    I must add that years ago I was in a shop trying an amp and I picked a £1400 Mark Knoplfer signature Strat off the wall to try it with.  After a little while they asked me to move into another room because I was making quite a lot of noise.  I swapped the Knopfler for a Mexican Classic Player which was a much, much better sounding guitar.  It may have been all or partly down to the Texas Specials Muds that were in the Knopfler.  They are horrible pickups.  Ever since then I've had a healthy respect for the Mexican Fenders.

Also, I much prefer the Mexican Jazz bass I have now to the Fender Japan bass that I had previously.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25096
    Neil said:
    close2u said:
    @MattFGBI

Is it still true (was it ever) that MiM bodies are more than 2 piece?

If 'depends' please elaborate on which ones etc.

And, which MiM models do / do not match the spacings of the MiA?
    I'm not Matt but I doubt you will find a two piece MIM, most of the US standards are three pieces.

My MIM Robert Cray signature - sunburst - was definitely a two piece.  But they do (or did) describe that model as having a "premium" alder body.
    It does depend on the individual guitar of course.

Not long there was a second hand Eric Johnson Strat in the shop… hands down the worst modern Fender I've ever played - totally dead and toneless. They're not all like that though.

The almost identical-looking Mexican '57 reissue next to it was a far better guitar and a full thousand pounds less.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    MattFGBI said:
    Yes the Mexican made guitars are very good but most of that is down to the talent of the builders. On paper they shouldn't play or feel as good as they do. 
    So is the official Fender line that Mexicans are more talented at building guitars than Americans? I`d always suspected as much.............. :-)

ICBM said:
    Not long there was a second hand Eric Johnson Strat in the shop… hands down the worst modern Fender I've ever played - totally dead and toneless. They're not all like that though.

Although we should never believe what we read on forums (  ;) ) I've seen a lot of negative comments about the EJ signature model - mostly saying the finish on the neck is too thick and sticky (despite supposedly being a "thin skin").  Some people also seem to think the 12" radius makes it feel stiff and/or hard to play, although that seems odd to me. 

I've never tried one so I can't say.

newi123 said:
    So is the official Fender line that Mexicans are more talented at building guitars than Americans? I`d always suspected as much.............. :-)
    Given that most of Leo's original workforce were Mexican immigrants, most of CBS's workforce weren't, and what Matt said, I suspect there may be a case for that deduction!

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    My 2001 MIM strat has a 5 or 6 piece body, I'm not sure they even bothered to veneer the solid finish ones, I thought that was only for sunburst guitars to make them look prettier.

The other thing worth noting is that the MIM standards are poplar, not alder, which gives them a unique tone (even snappier than usual, good for funk guitar sounds)

My AVRI is a 1 piece, but that was a fluke (I think the only 1 piece ones have bodies that were destined for the custom shop but didn't make the grade for cosmetic reasons, mine has a little "worming" in the grain on the back).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited January 2016
    My '90 MiM Strat is poplar but I think all of the new ones are alder.

Upgrade some of the hardware and electrics and you will still spend less than a US model.

I love mine and haven't yet found any Strat (American Standard, Deluxe or Artist) that feels as good. Mind, after twenty five years it is like an old friend now. 
    strtdv said:
    My AVRI is a 1 piece, but that was a fluke (I think the only 1 piece ones have bodies that were destined for the custom shop but didn't make the grade for cosmetic reasons, mine has a little "worming" in the grain on the back).
    Even custom shop guitars rarely have one-piece bodies, usually only Masterbuilt and even then only if you specifically request it.  Or so I've been told.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    The two best fenders I have owned are a 70's classic player Strat and a 60's Classic Tele. I know these are the higher end of the MIM range but they play and sound far better than the American standards I have had.

I will concede the best fenders I have played have been custom shop and master built guitars but there is a huge amount of money between these and the MIM classic's.

For my pocket I can not justify getting a custom shop and frankly I wouldn't buy a USA standard because I feel that they do not represent enough (in my hands and to my ears any) improvement over the top end MIM guitars.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    newi123 said:
    MattFGBI said:
    Yes the Mexican made guitars are very good but most of that is down to the talent of the builders. On paper they shouldn't play or feel as good as they do. 

More a case of Mexicans on one side of an arbitrary line on a map versus Mexicans on the other side of the same arbitrary map. I believe that workers are issued with Mojo(tm) going North and required to check any unused back in at the border going South... ;-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited January 2016
    Clarky said:
    so it seems like a bit of a thumbs up for the Mex Fenders then…

thanks for all the comments.. I'll ping my mate and let him know..
    I agree for Strat value, excellent, get one with a six screw bridge and fit one of these for £29.99 ,  http://www.wudtone.com/product/sale-item-fender-mim-bridge-upgrade/  . You really can't go wrong as you can then actually use the trem with confidence and it will stay in tune. Tim Shaw, Director in charge of guitar research, Fender MIC has had hands on with these plates, he says "works as described" . My fave MIM was a 62 re issue , even had vintage spaced bridge etc , with a tuning stable Wudtone plate and cold steel block ( bush in it to address any arm slack) ,  it was a great Strat. I regret selling it but you can't hang on to em all. was used here 

The one MIM I haven't liked was the "custom shop designed" classic player 50's , top of the MIM range with a two pivot bridge , shoreline gold, appalling to play, nut cut bad, string grabbing, dynamics and tone lacking. Largely blame the cheap version of their (lacking some  dynamic and tone anyway) two pivot post approach.  

kind regards  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom