First Build: Looking at Allparts Neck & Guitarbuild Body

What's Hot
Hi Guys,

Im interested in doing my first build, using a strat allparts neck such as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allparts-SMO-FAT-FENDER-Licensed-Stratocaster-Maple-Neck-21-Frets-CHUNKY-/281899325079?hash=item41a2825697:g:zUAAAOxyFjNSRwp7

And a guitarbuild strat body such as this

http://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/specials-actual-items-pictured-sc-bodies/products/guitarbuild-sc-body-one-piece-swamp-ash-extra-lightweight-1-6-kg-804431

Ive got a few questions which hopefully someone can help me out with.....

I presume they will marry up without any issues or modifications?

I havent got a drill press, will hand held (slow and steady) be ok?

What tuners will fit the allparts neck (vintage preferred without drilling)

Probably got a few more questions but cant think at the moment. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've done a few builds with Guitarbuild bodies, but haven't tried an Allparts neck. I have found there can be enough variation in size of parts (even if described as "Standard") that there can be issues getting a nice fit. Since Allparts is a reputable brand, I'd say it's likely the fit won't be bad, but it might be worth getting the neck first, and accurately measuring the heel dimensions just to be sure. On one occasion, I actually sent a neck I wanted to use through the post to Phil at Guitarbuild, so he could measure it up himself - he then sent the neck back to me, along with the body he'd made to fit it, and indeed that was a perfect close match. Just worth noting that they can do this for you if required.

I've done all my builds without a drill press, just careful use of a hand drill, and it's been fine. I wouldn't have wanted to drill the holes through the heel of the body for the neck mounting screws like that though, so I've always ensured that the bodies I used already had this done - I've not seen any Guitarbuild bodies that didn't, but worth checking.

Not sure on the tuners, but I think that is the right diameter hole to fit vintage style - I've always gone for the modern type that need a 10mm hole myself. Good luck with things anyhow - I found building partscasters to be great fun, and highly addictive. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    I'd say they should fit together ok, they're both from manufacturers who are known to stick to standard Fender specs.
    The body is a hardtail, so you will need a drill press to get the through string holes looking half decent. I've done it with one of those ones you clamp a DIY normal drill into. The Guitar build bodies have those holes drilled fairly deep IIRC to make the job easier and the neck screw holes are usually drilled virtually through so no problems with them.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    Can't speak for Guitarbuild bodies but a lot of people use them and speak highly of them.
    Allparts necks are to Fender heel specs, so they should fit just fine in any body with a Fender spec pocket.
    Just dry fit before finishing and allow for finish on the neck - if it's a particularly tight dry fit you might want to shave the sides of the neck heel or pocket slightly before finishing.
    (BTW if you do decide to but the SMO-FAT, get it on my website and you get free shipping in the UK)

EDIT - Allparts necks have vintage spec 0.340" tuner holes so you will need tuner with 8.8mm bush for a tight push fit.
    Gotoh and Kluson vintage style tuners come with that size bushes.
    Good point made by @FX_Munkee. I hadn't noticed the body was a hardtail, but it looks to me like the thru-body holes are already drilled, and also drilled on the back ready to fit string ferrules. The tele body I used from Guitarbuild looked very much the same, and had these holes pre-drilled.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    Didn't look at the back of the body TBH. My 2 guitar build bodies have been from ebay (handy hint, if they have what you want it's quite a bit cheaper) and IIRC the through body holes weren't finished. These were telecaster bodies though.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Didn't look at the back of the body TBH. My 2 guitar build bodies have been from ebay (handy hint, if they have what you want it's quite a bit cheaper) and IIRC the through body holes weren't finished. These were telecaster bodies though.
    I might be remembering wrong re my tele body - if so, then I did manage to drill the holes through OK with a hand drill. Of course that shouldn't be taken as a recommendation by me to do that...
  • DanDan Frets: 448
    thanks for all the info guys so far.

I reckon I will get the neck from @gavin_axecaster then.

Just checked on ebay and you are right @fx_munkee, they have got hardtail ash body's in, just a question of which one now....
  • DanDan Frets: 448
    edited February 2016
    Some bits arrived today.

Ill create a new build thread once I get going. Just need the bridge to come and I need to finally decide what colour etc. Thinking of a Mary Kaye / Hitmaker type vibe.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I am sitting comfortably. Love build threads    :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Those look very nice components. You can't go far wrong with Guitarbuild & Axecaster in my view...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 641
    Axecaster gave me some phenomenal service at the weekend.

Ordered a scratchplate on Saturday evening and it arrive on Monday lunchtime.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom