SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Offcut of wood to fill hole from a kahler trem unit

What's Hot
Hello all, 

I am looking for some kind of wood (steady!) to fill a trem cavity for a kahler. 

I am probably looking at 2 - 3 inch square with a depth of about half an inch.

Does anyone have anything out there?
I'm ideally looking for a variant of hard wood

Cheers
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    @gassage probably has a matching pair of Fender custom shop block-of-wood for filling kahler sized holes. They only made them in black though.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28088
    I've got some Ash offcuts from which I could cut off something smaller.  If that'll do, let me know the actual size you need - if I'm going to cut it, I may as well cut it fairly accurately.

It'll need planing/sanding because it's just offcuts from planks that I was cutting down to body blank size this morning.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    I have a chunk of mahogany in the garage that would probably do the job, if the rest of the guitar is made of such.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @TTony that sounds perfect sir. I will get some measurement to you mate. Thank you, thats much appreciated. 

@impmann cheers fella, the body its going into is alder or basswood (I think).
    Ultimately its gonna be filled and painted so I think any old thing will do. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    I've got an old roof joist in the shed! ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    I've got an old roof joist in the shed! ;-)
    Might be best to leave it there though - unless you want an open-air shed of course!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been known to use Pine door trim before to fill pickup cavities... 
    Did it make a difference? I couldn't tell you. 
    I have been known to use Pine door trim before to fill pickup cavities... 
    Did it make a difference? I couldn't tell you. 
    As long as you align the grain patterns carefully, it'd be hard to tell the difference ...

PM me the dimensions and your address - that'll save me looking at this thread every time there's an update !
  • Will do sir. 
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Any timber merchant will have an off-cuts bin and will be more than happy for you to have a rummage - guess you'd actually be doing you a favour?

Never had to pay and you can get some lurvly off-cuts
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)