Leap of faith

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
edited January 2016 in Acoustics
Today my daughter (15) told me she has been playing one of the steel-string acoustic guitars at school and much prefers them to the nylon-strings she'd been using up to now. They're some sort of cheap Yamaha, probably quite decent. So she asks me if she could get a steel-string guitar like that to use at home.

So I said yes. Then I went and got out the smaller of my two Gibsons. She's now borrowing it :-O.

She's managed to have a viola and a piano for a couple of years without doing any damage to either of them, at least...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fair play to you - It's always best to start on a quality instrument ; >
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    "There to be played." "Look better with some character".... Yadda yadda yadda

She might just cover it with stickers or something like I did. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    At least you've got the skills to repair any damage. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Sassafras said:
    At least you've got the skills to repair any damage. ;)
    Not the kind that you can potentially do to a solid wood acoustic…

In its favour, it's all-maple including the neck (apart from the top), which is at least something in its favour for robustness. And it's not in perfect condition anyway.

To be fair she is pretty careful with stuff usually, and I did tell her now much it's worth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920

That's nice.

To be fair, I think that if you've happily (ok maybe not happily, but voluntarily at least!) handed it over, you must have a degree of trust that she will respect it. I look forward to the day when I have kids that I can hopefully bond over music with.

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    I think it's brilliant - giving something that is precious to you to someone who is even more precious to you!

Call me a soppy git but I think you'll get a lot of pleasure from seeing your daughter enjoying a quality guitar!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robwright said:
    I think it's brilliant - giving something that is precious to you to someone who is even more precious to you!
    Steady on… lending, not giving ;).

:D

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    You should make her a custom one, what a gift to keep that would be.
  • Deijavoo said:
    She might just cover it with stickers or something like I did. 
    And you wonder why ICBM has quit lending you stuff?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • After all they are there to be played. I remember as kids playing with my dad's fender strat, original gretsch white falcon n golden hofner as toys. Looking at the valve of them today it's funny. Ha ha.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9709
    edited February 2016
    A brilliant and cunning move @ICBM...

You now have leverage to buy something as a replacement ;)

Genius.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    MotoGP is where I go nuts. The Mrs loved it. Edge of seat stuff. Pity we don't have an F1 theme like Fleetwood to summarise the action. I'll see what I can do :)
  • ICBM;952439" said:
    robwright said:

Steady on… lending, not giving ;).

:D

Lol'd! :D
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Top man.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cool, but I thought this was going to be about a new Faith acoustic in the house!
    edited March 2016
    Well… after all that, she did confess that she was a little scared playing such an expensive guitar of mine, and gave it back last week.

Which is OK, because today an almost brand new Martin LX1 appeared in the shop for sale, so I bought it for her instead :).

Hopefully she'll turn into the next Ed Sheeran!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7894
    ICBM;999391" said:
    Well… after all that, she did confess that she was a little scared playing such an expensive guitar of mine, and gave it back last week.

Which is OK, because today an almost brand new Martin LX1 appeared in the shop for sale, so I bought it for her instead :).

http://i.imgur.com/Ilm2gOj.jpg

Hopefully she'll turn into the next Ed Sheeran!
    Nice guitar, but remember, one Ed Sheeran is enough.
    Nice guitar, but remember, one Ed Sheeran is one too many
    Corrected :).

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    That looks great. I really like how these days its really easy to get a well-made small bodied acoustic for reasonable money. It's got to help young people get more enthused about playing if the guitar fits them better.
    Having said that I got an acoustic when I was 15 that is still my main guitar (not just main acoustic) 16years later! so hopefully it'll serve her well for a number of years 
    :)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.