Converting a Les Paul to only have a Master Volume?

What's Hot
I want to change my LP copy from two volume two tone, to one master volume no tone.

I've found a few schematics showing one volume one tone, this one seems to be the simplest:

Will I be able to just miss out the capacitor and tone pot?

I'll be using all the current wires and pots, and my current electronics skill is poor, but I have two days at home so I can take my time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7116
    tFB Trader
    Yes.
  • Yes.
    Succinct, I like it.
    tFB Trader
    :)
    tFB Trader
    Oh, don't forget to earth the top leg on the volume pot. This isn't shown in your diagram and easy to miss, if you do the volume won't drop to zero when you turn right down.

You can do this by bending the leg of the pot to meet the case and soldering them together or a better solution I think is to solder a wire between them as this doesn't risk straining the pot.

If you are using an existing volume pot this will already be done of course.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Kinda curious as to why the OP is taking the tone controls out of circuit.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Rocker said:
    Cos he never uses it? I've got a bass where I removed all the controls except for a single volume, because that's all I ever use. I even removed the pickup selector and hard-wired it to having both pickups on full. Suits me.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11731
    tFB Trader
    mart said:
    Rocker said:
    Cos he never uses it? I've got a bass where I removed all the controls except for a single volume, because that's all I ever use. I even removed the pickup selector and hard-wired it to having both pickups on full. Suits me.
    Also you will get very slightly more output (and top end) by removing the tone pots , even though 50s wiring is not too shabby

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    This is my old cheap Gretsch, which I might be getting back soon…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3019
    ICBM;943071" said:
    This is my old cheap Gretsch, which I might be getting back soon…

http://i.imgur.com/7q3MMWK.jpg
    Finish the job off man, ditch the neck pickup and the three way !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    DrBob said:
    Finish the job off man, ditch the neck pickup and the three way !
    Nah, I can't get on with guitars with just a bridge pickup really.

If I get it back I'm likely to turn it into more of a Neil Finn/Young job than a Neil/Malcolm Young one anyhow - I have a couple of Oil City pickups in mind...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Rocker;942957" said:
    It's a Kay LP copy and basically it sounds either very nasal or very muddy on anything other than 10 everything. Like @mart said I just don't want or use the tone controls.

@FelineGuitars I had considered sending it to you as I'm only up the road but think I'll save my pennies for one of your SG types in the future.

I probably won't go the @ICBM route, I'll leave the pots there. Although I have to say that Gretsch is beautiful.