Let's make geetarguy's commute productive and save his sanity!

What's Hot
geetarguy85geetarguy85 Frets: 51
edited January 2016 in Theory
Hi all,

I currently have a 35 mile drive to work in the morning; the first 33 miles take half an hour and the last 2 take anywhere from 45mins to 1hr45 mins... Not naming where but it's a rather large site in Warwickshire with only one access road and several thousand people driving in at the same time!

As you can imagine, this is driving me absolutely nuts. I've been listening to a lot of audio books in recent months to help make the time more productive, but I find my mind wandering when I'm in the queue. Additionally, audio books are not cheap (if you get them legitimately) and I'm burning through nearly 2hrs worth every morning!

I was wondering whether anyone has any good ideas for how I could be productive with regards to guitar/general music theory whilst in this queue? Preferably things that don't need me to look away from the road as it's not really stop start traffic, more continuous crawling at less than 2mph.

If someone on here could help save my sanity and improve my musical abilities at the same time I would be forever grateful :)

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Get up an hour earlier.

Save yourself c1hr on the last 2miles of the journey ('cos everyone else is still eating their Cornflakes) and you're in work 2 hours earlier than you would have been.

Now, either start work 2 hours earlier - and leave 2 hours earlier - or take in a guitar and a pair of headphones and give yourself some decent practice time in the office.  Or in the car in the carpark.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    If audio books are too expensive, maybe podcasts?

I do what TTony suggests, coming in maybe 2 hours early.  But I also often leave the office an hour or 2 late, again missing traffic on the way back, but leaving me absolutely knackered at the end of the day.  I was in the office at 7am this morning, and have a 4pm meeting with a client at end of today.

But some days I work from home, which is obviously much easier!
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

This looks like more fun than audiobooks...Just replace the bass with a real guitar

:)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Nikko - Brilliant!

Yeah I've gradually been leaving earlier and earlier but it seems that any time between 6 and 9 you'll hit very severe traffic around the site! So unfortunately to beat the traffic I'd be having to try and get in before 6, and would still have to be around in the office until at least 5pm; our start and end times aren't that flexible! I did think about getting in super early and playing a uke in the car...

I was listening to podcasts about game development before; any recommendations for ones about music?

Thanks