Cellulose sanding sealer

What's Hot
Does anyone use it, bought some off eBay and it's not what I expected. Dries like plastic and is a bitch to sand. I expected the white powdery stuff but it clogs the paper nearly instantly even after 2 days drying.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2016

Yeah I use it.  It's messy stuff but are you dry sanding?  What grade paper are you using?

My usual process is two coats about an hour apart, then dry over night.  Then wet sand with about 400 grit until virtual all shiney spots are gone..  Dry off and let dry for an hour then two more coats and hour apart.  Again just over night (maybe two depending on the time of day I did it) then lightly sand again.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    Love the stuff. Its giving me good results with brushed on sealer followed by rattlecan sprays. Important bit is I don't touch the cans till the sealer is nice and level
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited January 2016
    I'm rolling on and dry sanding (400) yes, that's where I'm going wrong I guess. I expected it to sand easier like the stuff you find under paint on strats. Thanks guys will give it another go wet sanding in the morning. Smells a bit to nice though, like carsonogenic pear drops!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Can you not use superglue?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    There are different qualities of sander sealer out there. The best rubs down like powder, the worst reacts like the stuff it sounds like you're using. Buy the best you can afford. I spray liberal coats on until the grain has more or less gone and flat off dry within 2 hours. Real good stuff I've had in the past can literally be ploughed on and flatted off maybe an hour later. Never brushed or rolled it before though.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Cheers @Deadman can you recommend one
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    Unfortunately all the stuff available to me is trade only, I honestly don't even know who makes it. I'd look at getting something with a reputable name, Briwax maybe? I'm sure they do it. Ask Wez and RHC what they're buying. It isn't all down to you though. I've been in exactly the same position as you when we've been supplied with substandard stuff in the past, and I'm working with every available refinishing aid at my disposal.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    Sambostar;945107" said:
    Can you not use superglue?

You can, but its a horrendous job.