To the relic lovers, opinions on second attempt at defacing a guitar

What's Hot
My first attempt didn't go so well, I went to far with no real direction or planning. Thought I'd ask for some opinions at an earlier stage this time

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Is it poly or nitro finish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    It's paint over sanding sealer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    It looks better than most commercial relics :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @icbm should I lacquer it then redo the relic areas?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Skodadad said:
    @icbm should I lacquer it then redo the relic areas?
    Depends on what you want, I suppose. Nobody plays a guitar for 20 years to add wear, and then lacquers it - real wear starts with the finished item. On the other hand, if you want a reliced look that will be preserved (and not absorb sweat), then relic before lacquer (after which, the lacquer will wear and sweat will be absorbed anyway).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well I've done lighter paint coats around the relic'd areas so hopefully that area will wear naturally. The paint is thick enough to get a shine and I can then add paint swirls with a micromesh pad to dull it down a little.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Works for me. I like it.
    Cheers @axisus are there any more points you think I should take back a little?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    I've done a couple now, less is definitely more and you need to take your time. In my humble opinion yours needs a few strategically placed chips and scratches. Maybe a white base coat as opposed to a black one next time too, if you're going for one of the old Fender-esque colours. Enjoyable isn't it? ;)
    It's nice not to have to be so careful handling it that's for sure. It's different to trying to get a pristine finish. I may give it to my boy to play with in the garden when the paint dries properly :) he will likely do a very convincing relic job.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3963
    My Tele was mint in every way until I beat it up. I love the feel of it now. On the plus side, I whacked the headstock a few weeks ago by accident and put a 1" gouge in it and rather than cry I felt a sense of pride
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There is a certain appeal to them, my problem is as soon as I play it any illusion of a well loved faithfully old friend disappears. I'd have to pretend my playing was a 'style' rather than useless.