Anyone A/B'd a Strymon Lex against a Boss RT20?

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
As it proves difficult to find a Lex in stock to try it in person I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts.

Also if anyone has tried it, how does the Lex compare with the Mobius? 

Cheers
Lynden
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For best sound, the Korg G4 wins for me. For best price to sound ratio, the RT20 edges it.

The Lex sounds good but I'm just not a fan of Strymon pedals. They don't have much character to me. 

• The RT20 I had used to hum in time to the lights...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    Heartfeltdawn;98980" said:
    The Lex sounds good but I'm just not a fan of Strymon pedals. They don't have much character to me. 
    What an odd thing to say :-/

Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    What an odd thing to say :-/

I know what he means. I have had a currently have some Strymon stuff and the jurys out at the moment. They all sound great but they do add something very strange to the overall tone. A wierd metallic artifact that you can hear. Some of the sounds can be a little lifeless/ flat/ 2D.
    For example, take the chorus. Sounds great but compare that to something like an Analogman or a Providence and the Strymon loses everyday.
    Back to the original question, I haven't a/b'd them but the Leslie on the Mobius is good.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7692
    Ah, the psychosomatic response to knowing it's digital - gotcha ;-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I take it you are a fan then TimmyO?  :D

I only ever had the RT-20, I thought it was cool. At the end of the day nothing's going to sound like a real speaker whooshing around the room - it's just impossible. So it's only ever going to be an "artist's impression" and opinions will differ on which one is most pleasing.
  • Certainly no digital negativity from me. I use digital stuff a lot. Just all the Strymon stuff does something to the tone that I don't like. I also use Eventide stuff (quite blatantly digital) and it just sounds warmer and more transparent.
  • Thanks for the input guys, appreciated. Did some sums yesterday… and now have a Mobius, which I got for a steal :-)

Tried the Eventide H9 too, but found it wouldn't do what I wanted easily. Was pouring over the manual in the shop testing it earlier, and it's mightily impressive in some respects, but trying to simply choose an effect to start building a preset was impossible (rather than tweaking and existing one). Probably much better when you use the control app, just didn't want to get home and find it still wouldn't be easy. Strymon on the other hand is a doddle.
  • TimmyO said:
    Ah, the psychosomatic response to knowing it's digital - gotcha ;-)
    Not from me. The Korg G4 is digital and sounds miles better than the Lex. I love the older digital units, stuff like the Boss GT-3, but the modern stuff like the Line 6 M-series and the Strymon pedals leave me really cold. Higher fidelity but almost too clean, too clinical. Given that I'm currently in love with Kuassa's Vermillion amp plugin, Scuffham Amps, and Valhalla DSP's plugins, I'm certainly no hater of digital sounds. I just don't like the sound of Strymon pedals.