Paulnb57 2016 Slide Challenge....

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3093
edited February 2016 in Making & Modding
This is a possible second entry to the Slide Challenge for 2016, nothing in the rules to say I can't do more than one……..however it will be a challenge keeping it under £100, so it's a possible……
I got this tryuly awful body off someone on here, it was cheap, for a reason,

I was going to put an Epi EB-0 Short scale bass neck onto it and had to fill the 3 point bridge holes I had already drilled…then I had to cover it all up somehow, so thought a while and took a cup-o-tea to the pink one in the sewing room, Eureka moment, she released custody of a "Fat Quarter" of fabric, so I Gorilla glued it onto the top of the body…

I had also routed a recess around the edge of the body previously too

The neck I removed from a previous ratty project 3 string Comicaster

So today the headstock is sprayed satin black, tuners and trees install, neck holes drilled and neck bolted on….

Cost so far Body           £30
Neck  (used)                 £10
Tuners (very used!)         £8
Fabric                            £6
Entwhiste P90 (used)      £8
Paint                             £7
Bridge  (used)               £10

Total so far        £79  its gonna be tight!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a dog ear P90 cover if that's a help for fitting. Free of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3093
    I have a dogear p90 in the parts box, but thanks for the offer, stressing about routing for the pup!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited February 2016
    Had quite a good day today amd although chilly it meant I could get onto the deck and do a bit, but first locate the bridge using a couple o bits o string and a tape measure, this saw the bridge located and temporarily fitted....

Then apply some masking tape to the area where the pickup route would go, located the P90 pup cover, drew round it then secured the template with double sided tape and a couple of screws, using the screw holes for a dogear P90 that is too expensive for the challenge, but will probably be fitted after the challenge.....then hog out some of the waste with a Forstner bit.....

I didn't have a router bit of the right diameter that had a bearing so I hogged out deep enough that the shank of the router bit could run on the edge of the template, took it really easy with very many tiny cuts until done...Christonabike, it looks like a grown up did it!
    Neighbours will think I'm a mentalist cos I wooped and tried to high five the Bastard (dog)...this is the first time I have tried to do a pickup rout, so well chuffed!

Then drill d a recess under the bridge with a forstner then a 1/4 inch drillbit for the bridge earthand pickup wires to go through to the control cavity, also drilled the holes for volume, tone and side jack.
    Installed some ratty old pots, the pickup, and an earth to the bridge, the refitted the bridge and some chickenhead knobs from the parts box...

Close of play....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2016
    Cost brought forward £79, todays parts

Used pots, no idea of values £1.00 each = £2.00
    Used jack socket £1
    So now up to £82

Not much left to buy, need to factor in wire solder etc, wire will be salvaged as will a .047 cap and be reused.

Need to make a jack plate, rear control cavity cover, seal the bare wood with diluted Gorilla glue, then Satin black from a Halfords aerosol, clean up the edges of the f holes, biggest  further expense will be a set of strings!

I might just make it under budget....

• Love it, @paulnb57 ! :) That's mighty fine pickup routing too....
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121
    Looking good! :)