Esquire Owners?

What's Hot
LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
edited January 2016 in Guitar
How many folks on this forum own an Esquire?
Be it a 'proper' Fender or something they've pieced together themselves.

I have a new found obsession with them.
Went through a LOT of different styles of guitars before it finally dawned on me that a Tele bridge pickup is pretty much exactly what I need.

It wasn't even planned.
Was forced to take a shitty SG to rehearsal one evening as my other guitars were being worked on, and it was feeding back like a bastard as soon as I used even a touch of gain.
So I told our front man (who uses a clean rhythm sound mostly) that he'd have to use it and I'll borrow his MIM Tele for that rehearsal.

BREAKTHROUGH!
That cutting, 'bitey' Tele bridge pickup tone was absolutely spot on for my lead playing, and I could do the rest with the volume control (e.g. roll it off a touch for my rhythm parts).
God knows why it took me so long. For some reason, I always had them down as too 'jangly' and 'glassy' for what I needed, and thought humbuckers were the way forward.
Lesson learned!

Knew I'd rarely (if ever) use the neck pickup as I'm like that on most guitars.
Prefer to use the vol and tone controls to clean things up and take a bit of treble out.

So, I went on the hunt for an Esquire and found this...

It's basically a solid alder Hosco Japan body finished in sea foam green, Mighty Mite satin neck, all top end USA hardware (custom notched bridge, compensated brass saddles, high ratio staggered tuners etc), good quality pots/caps/wiring and a Bare Knuckle Piledriver pickup.

Really nice guitar that plays great and sounds the bollocks.
Wired in the 'Eldred' style with a 3 way switch.

The headstock was plain when I got it, so I thought I'd dedicate it to my good mate's little girl Lexi-Mae who was born with Edward's Syndrome and is currently defying the odds. Absolute little miracle.
Now known as the "Lexicaster"...

Currently in the process of converting my USA 'California Series' Telecaster in to an Esquire, so I'll get a picture of that up when it's finished (hopefully in the next week or so).

So, any other Esquire owners out there?
Show me some pics! :)
Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sweet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28435
    This was my first one ... the p'up is an Oil City special and both the pots are push/pull (one to tap the p'up and one to bypass both controls).

Which I quite liked.

So then I made this one ... this time with a DiMarzio P90 sized HB

I made both the bodies (Ash) but cheated on the necks!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    Love the headstock and name mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • esquires are great and as you found they really seem to excel as live guitars. I made a partscaster version which I loved and Ive also had a couple of custom shop fender ones.
    How very rock and roll
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    TTony said:
    This was my first one ... the p'up is an Oil City special and both the pots are push/pull (one to tap the p'up and one to bypass both controls).

Which I quite liked.
    I'm genuinely in love with that @TTony - absolute beauty!
    Loving the simple controls too.

Do you still have this one?
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited January 2016
    Esquire thread? Asking for photos? Here's mine (again):

Eldred wired, truoil finish & Born To Run pick guard. Since these photos were taken it's been upgraded to an OilCity Fortyniner pickup- which is EPIC: the p'up was a late christmas present from MrsLostSon (- so I'm still taking part in the antiGAS challenge!)

Like you I'd always thought that tele's were too bright and cutting, but this sounds great & has become my main guitar.
    Yup, still got it @lewligan.
    Ah, sorry if there's already been another similar thread!
    Probably should've checked.

Ah well, can never see too many Esquire pics :)

Glad that Fortyniner is being put to good use in such a lovely guitar @stimpsonlostson!

@TTony If for some crazy reason you decide you want to move that beauty on in a month or 2, give me a shout ;)
    Lewligan said:
    @TTony If for some crazy reason you decide you want to move that beauty on in a month or 2, give me a shout ;)
    @Lewligan - apart from the fact that I rather like it, it's also got a tasty (aka expensive) neck on it, which would make it rather expensive!

Solid rosewood from Warmoth.  Expensive, but worth it!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited January 2016
    Lewligan said:
    Ah, sorry if there's already been another similar thread!
    Probably should've checked.

Ah well, can never see too many Esquire pics :)

Glad that Fortyniner is being put to good use in such a lovely guitar @stimpsonlostson!

Bring on the Esquires! (I was referring to the fact that I've posted that picture before- people generally comment on my Totoro neck rest).

I'm a sucker for single pickup guitars, I've got a LP Jr (single P90) and a Pacifica 510v (p-rails: single coil/P90/HB in one p'up) too. Strangely I NEVER miss the neck pickup, I have got more adept with the controls though.

I love the colour of at Lew, and the headstock is a lovely idea- I've been debating what to put on mine. I have two daughters so was thinking a Freya Elliecaster might work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    Here's mine:
    Surf green Rosser sugar pine body
    Might Mite neck
    Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pick up
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    First assembly - Mighty Mite V neck, Mighty Mite body, Tonerider Hot Classic Tele pickup with Eldred mod. Finished in shellac.
    Weighs 6lb 12oz

My office open G guitar. Body and neck same as above currently sporting an Oil City prototype Tele P90 with Eldred mod. Finished with an ageing solution then shellac and Liberon black bison paste wax. Neck given a spritz of shellac and rubbed out with 0000 steel wool.
    This one weighs in around 9lbs!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Loving that top one @gavin_axecaster!