Pickups for weird numbers of strings

What's Hot
I'm thinking of building something for the slide challenge...  would have been a 3-string cigar-box type, but I was given one of the Works kits for my birthday last weekend and it's really not at all bad, so I'm wondering about leaving it as-is and making a 5-string one instead (for Keef-style open tuning without the bottom string).

So, what pickup should I look out for?  Cheap single-coils are usually Fender type with pole pieces for six strings - could just miss one I suppose.  Or does the spacing not really matter?  Are the ones without visible pole pieces (tele neck pickups, rail-type pickups etc) better for unconventional string counts?  The Works kit uses some sort of microphonic pickup but I'm thinking a magnetic pickup might be less feedback-prone if I ever fancy using it at a gig in future.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29108
    I would think that lipsticks or rails would work fine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 917
    edited January 2016
    Thanks, so am I right in thinking (assuming) that those types of pickup have a uniform magnetic field with no "focussing" at points for strings?

(and also I'm assuming that 5 strings spaced evenly over a strat-type pickup would not work well but that may not be true at all, just seems "wrong")
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29108
    I reckon so.

Though I'm not sure there's massive variation as you move a bit away from a polepiece - otherwise doing a bend would result in a noticeable volume drop.

I'd give Ash a shout - the Oil City feller. He knows his stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I'm not sure there's massive variation as you move a bit away from a polepiece - otherwise doing a bend would result in a noticeable volume drop.
    That's very true.  So apart from looking a bit "wrong" (but this is to be a home-made-for-as-little-outlay-as-possible instrument after all!) it may be fine.
    @theguitarweasel - what's your expert opinion?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73015
    Five strings spread over a Strat pickup will work fine. Tele neck pickups do also have polepieces, but it doesn't matter. The field is not centred over each polepiece, it spreads out and fills in the gaps - if it didn't, the volume would drop when you bend a string on a Strat so it's halfway between two poles, as Sporky said.

Rickenbacker used standard 6-pole guitar pickups in the neck position of their basses for years - still do on the vintage reissue 4001 - and no-one seemed to notice!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cool - looks like anything will do then :)
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    A Tele neck pickup will also look more like it's intrnded if it has the cover on.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 917
    edited January 2016
    Nomad said:
    A Tele neck pickup will also look more like it's intrnded if it has the cover on.
    It would look more cosmetically right (or a danelectro type) but if a strat type would work just as well I'll just grab whatever I can pick up cheaply (hopefully I should be able to find something that looks nice AND is cheap :) ).
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7919
    ICBM said:
    Five strings spread over a Strat pickup will work fine. Tele neck pickups do also have polepieces, but it doesn't matter. The field is not centred over each polepiece, it spreads out and fills in the gaps - if it didn't, the volume would drop when you bend a string on a Strat so it's halfway between two poles, as Sporky said.

Rickenbacker used standard 6-pole guitar pickups in the neck position of their basses for years - still do on the vintage reissue 4001 - and no-one seemed to notice!
    Fender Precision and Jazz bass pickups have pole pieces that sit either side of the string and IIRC some of the recent Bronco basses had Strat pickups in.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • chickenbonejohnchickenbonejohn Frets: 188
    edited January 2016
    Anything from 6 to 1 string across a regular guitar pickup will work fine. On my cigar box guitars I prefer to use plain cover pickups simply because it looks neater than having the "wrong" number of polepieces showing under the strings, but functionally it doesn't really matter. Here's a couple of mine to show the way I do it....
    ...on a 3 string box

..and on a 4 string aluminium reso....

• Nice looking guitars @chickenbonejohn :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1661

Yeah, not critical. I don't know that anyone has done any serious investigation about how pickups work but I suspect it is more "variable reluctance" or "field disturbance" than a simple "dynamo" principle?

I fitted a Hot Rails to Lad's Strat copy many years ago. He seemed happy with it till the guitar got nicked in Paris!

Dave.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3093
    On a 3 string CBG folk often use half a PBass pup, cheap as chips for clunkers on the bay
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll