Les Paul Standard 2015 and G Force

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2778

A friend of mine bought a 2015 Standard recently and it has the G Force tuners. He says he needs to make several attempts sometimes to get it to tune, specifically the low E. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it normal on the G Force tuners, or something that needs adjustment?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Make sure battery is fully charged and if that doesn't work then go through the calibration that is set out in the electronic gforce instruction manual.

Only time mine done that was fresh out of the case when I bought it, a quick battery charge sorted it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    @quarky. Tell him to download the manual and have a good read if he's keeping it. You can do a recalibration if you think the tuning is slightly off but you will need he instructions in front of you
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    ICBM;950211" said:
    It's not a problem having g-force tuners they just need some getting used to. Not everyone wants technology but it should not just be discarded off hand either. Besides which I would replace them with Gibson Deluxe tuners for the authentic look if that was the route I was going down ;)

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_vintage_les_paul_classic_machine_heads.asp?gclid=CNP5hMbNycoCFeISwwodOBwC6w
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    edited January 2016
    Evildurka said:
    It's not a problem having g-force tuners they just need some getting used to. Not everyone wants technology but it should not just be discarded off hand either. Besides which I would replace them with Gibson Deluxe tuners for the authentic look if that was the route I was going down ;)
    I prefer the Rotomatic type, they're better engineered. The Gibson Deluxes have a habit of falling apart if knocked (and sometimes if not). But either will do really - or any, just as long as they have a 10mm bushing.

I'm not discarding the G-Force technology off-hand, I'm discarding it because of the large body of reported evidence and a small amount personally that it isn't reliable and causes trouble.

I'm not against new technology either - if you want to fit modern locking machineheads that's good as well. Actually one of the advantages of the robot tuners is that there are no screws, so you can fit any ones you want - even things like Sperzels, which have a different mounting footprint from most others - without leaving ugly unused screw holes in the headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    edited January 2016

Thanks, I will recommend a battery change and recalibration.

Yeah I like the traditional (see what I did there :) ) manual method myself too, but am not against technology changes, so if it works, great, if not, a swap to basic tuners will be recommended.

I see both sides of the argument to be honest, more to go wrong with a GForce and I had an issue with one tuner detuning G string completely. However, I have two 2015s and after a bit of love hate with the tuners I stuck with them and really enjoy using them with the understanding they're not perfect
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    ICBM said:
    Wisdom or Lol, wisdom or lol, wisdom or lol...went with lol
    :D
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • I draw the line at the tuning pegs needing their own manual. I aint got no time for that!

Worse still, I see the electronic tuners getting more popular. I saw a NAMM video where you have a device that looks like a drill/string winder, connected via a wire to your phone. You select what tuning you want on your phone and it turns the tuning peg for you. Then when that string is done, you remove the drill/string winder thing onto the next tuning peg and it does it all again.

What the hell is the point?! Just plug into a tuner and use your hands! If it worked for Jimi Hen... actually... maybe that's a bad example.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Said it before, say it again: Unless you are using multiple tunings in the same set, robot tuners are solving a "problem" that does not exist.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2016

I draw the line at the tuning pegs needing their own manual. I aint got no time for that!

Worse still, I see the electronic tuners getting more popular. I saw a NAMM video where you have a device that looks like a drill/string winder, connected via a wire to your phone. You select what tuning you want on your phone and it turns the tuning peg for you. Then when that string is done, you remove the drill/string winder thing onto the next tuning peg and it does it all again.

What the hell is the point?! Just plug into a tuner and use your hands! If it worked for Jimi Hen... actually... maybe that's a bad example.

I'd love to see how long it takes someone to tune a guitar with a Floyd Rose or similar floating bridge using that. Even a normal guitar could be a ball ache as the neck tension changes string pitch and you keep having to swap some ridiculous contraption over to the next tuning peg. I dont want to sound like an arse but i honestly believe that the thing anyone who plays a guitar needs to get down day one is how to tune it by ear

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2778

To be fair, he wasn't that fussed about them either, but the guitar was much cheaper than the current models I think. I don't see the big deal with. I am quite happy changing tunings a couple of times each practice session..

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    eSully said:
    I see both sides of the argument to be honest, more to go wrong with a GForce and I had an issue with one tuner detuning G string completely. However, I have two 2015s and after a bit of love hate with the tuners I stuck with them and really enjoy using them with the understanding they're not perfect

But shouldn't they be 'perfect'?
    I thought the whole point of technology was to move us towards perfection although most of it seems to add complication to an otherwise simple design. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    GForce...

A) GForce sometimes don't tune properly. People who have read the manual will say "Have you charged it properly?" Your emotional reaction to this is similar to when you call an IT helpdesk and they say "Have you tried rebooting?" or when you call the RAC and tell them your car has broken down and they say "Have you checked you have fuel in it?" If you could reach down the phone you would firmly shake them by the throat...

B) Have you heard all those people who have GForce on a guitar and complain loudly how they really miss it when they play one of their other guitars? Me neither :)
    Chalky;950533" said:
    GForce...

A) GForce sometimes don't tune properly. People who have read the manual will say "Have you charged it properly?" Your emotional reaction to this is similar to when you call an IT helpdesk and they say "Have you tried rebooting?" or when you call the RAC and tell them your car has broken down and they say "Have you checked you have fuel in it?" If you could reach down the phone you would firmly shake them by the throat...

B) Have you heard all those people who have GForce on a guitar and complain loudly how they really miss it when they play one of their other guitars? Me neither :)
    On point B I find I generally pick up my junior to learn on because you can swap between tunings so easily, and that is the truth. I've had to force myself to use other guitars on occasions even though they may sound more suitable for what I'm playing.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I draw the line at the tuning pegs needing their own manual. I aint got no time for that!

I'd love to see how long it takes someone to tune a guitar with a Floyd Rose or similar floating bridge using that. Even a normal guitar could be a ball ache as the neck tension changes string pitch and you keep having to swap some ridiculous contraption over to the next tuning peg. I dont want to sound like an arse but i honestly believe that the thing anyone who plays a guitar needs to get down day one is how to tune it by ear

Not quite sure how important that is to a student 'Day 1'...
    :-/
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    I liked the G Force, but it was an entertaining gimmick rather than a real improvement.

It's also very out of place on a guitar. The beauty of a guitar is that it's basically 1940s technology, and there's no reason you won't be able to enjoy that guitar 30+ years down the line, but the G Force will be utterly obsolete within 5 years.

Mine worked perfectly but that was why I sold them.

It's worth noting that as well as charging and calibrating it, a lot of issues are actually the brass nut binding, and Gibson will send you out a much better titanium replacement free of charge.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    underdog;950564" said:
    [quote="Chalky;950533"]GForce...

On point B I find I generally pick up my junior to learn on because you can swap between tunings so easily, and that is the truth. I've had to force myself to use other guitars on occasions even though they may sound more suitable for what I'm playing.

[/quote]

Wanna buy another 3 sets to retrofit to your other guitars ?
    Cabicular;950638" said:

Wanna buy another 3 sets to retrofit to your other guitars ?
    I was really tempted to be honest, but checked the templates and junior ones (which are the ones usually on eBay) are no good for the guitars I want them on.

edited January 2016
    Sassafras;950511" said:
    eSully said:

But shouldn't they be 'perfect'?I thought the whole point of technology was to move us towards perfection although most of it seems to add complication to an otherwise simple design. 
    Yes and no. It's been said ad nauseum that Gibsons huge mistake was not making them optional. Some of us, myself @underdog and a few others have them. Use them daily and like them. Some people's minds were made up before touching one. Technology is meant to make life easier. The GForce does if you want to change tunings fast and you stick to the instructions. I don't think it's perfect because it's not intuitive and I have had minor issues (that I've been able to fix). Whatever about Gibsons screw up. It's still a technology in its infancy and I think when something isn't fully developed and perfected yet there should be a certain amount of acceptance, from iPhones to whatever, there's usually some teething issues but those are learned from and the tech advanced. Give it a few more generations and I think it'll be fantastic for those who want it. Not quiet yet but they're not that far off.