Les Paul Standard 2015 and G Force

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited January 2016
    I also got two fantastic guitars on sale thanks to everyone hating them so I guess I have a soft spot :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    eSully;950662" said:
    I also got two fantastic guitars on sale thanks to everyone hating them so I guess I have a soft spot :))
    Me too I have as mentioned a double cut special and a jnr. They are both cracking guitars and I am really liking the g-force as evidenced in my posts. I get people wanting the choice to have standard tuners and not liking the tech but it should not be disregarded.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    It's a bloody great system imho... And i dont like Gibbos. Ive actually now got 2 great examples... A sea green classic, and a magnificent (and i mean that) LP Jr.

FOLLOW THE MANUAL. It works. Simple as.

Granted, i like me tunings, and play a fair bit in DADGAD.

Honestly, Im amazed at how good it is. As ever, YMMV

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had mine delivered and charging the battery now. I take it tuning by hand is a big no no while I wait?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • neil68 said:
    Just had mine delivered and charging the battery now. I take it tuning by hand is a big no no while I wait?
    Don't try and tune it by hand 
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• Don't try and tune it by hand 

Thanks. I noticed a youtube vid with the guy holding one of the pegs in a screenshot, but thought best not to :)
    neil68 said:
    Don't try and tune it by hand 

Thanks. I noticed a youtube vid with the guy holding one of the pegs in a screenshot, but thought best not to :)
    Not correct. You can tune and make adjustments by hand as long as the system isn't in operation/turned on. 

http://www.gibson.com/news-lifestyle/features/en-us/five-myths-busted-gibson-g-force.aspx
  • eSully said:
    Not correct. You can tune and make adjustments by hand as long as the system isn't in operation/turned on. 

http://www.gibson.com/news-lifestyle/features/en-us/five-myths-busted-gibson-g-force.aspx
    Now, I did wonder about that too, but if that's the case, why do people replace them ... although I suppose aesthetics does come into it ;)
  • and looking at some of the comments on that link, the pegs are prone to breaking when manually tuning.
    neil68 said:
    eSully said:

Now, I did wonder about that too, but if that's the case, why do people replace them ... although I suppose aesthetics does come into it ;)
    Yea. Aesthetics maybe. Some I guess replace them as they want less moving parts on their guitars and less things that could go wrong. FWIW I have used the g force for a year now on my trad and I love it. I haven't had any problems. Some people did, maybe not all units worked perfectly. Give them a chance. Follow the instructions and if their not for you they're very easy to replace. 
  • I'll definitely give them a chance. I never had the patience to try different tunings, so this'll help me try (and murder) a few tunes I've bypassed 

• I had that issue on a guitar I had - basically one of the tuners was broken so struggled to tune the low e. It was pretty obvious something was wrong with it - as you could hear the gears grinding. Gibson customer service were very helpful.

otherwise as folks have said, give the battery a charge. 

• I had that issue on a guitar I had - basically one of the tuners was broken so struggled to tune the low e. It was pretty obvious something was wrong with it - as you could hear the gears grinding. Gibson customer service were very helpful.

otherwise as folks have said, give the battery a charge. 

yeah, when I first tried it, the bottom E nearly unwound itself before I looked into the battery situation. to be fair, the manual does say charge before use :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17498
    Yes, You can tune by hand...but attempting it once will convince you its a terrible idea.   The ratio is huge so it takes a lot of turns, and every one will set your teeth on edge as you do it
  • haha! just gave it a go as the bottom e was hanging off, but then read the fast wind up/down bit in the maual
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    edited November 2016
    neil68 said:

Now, I did wonder about that too, but if that's the case, why do people replace them ...
    Because sometimes they break or stop working properly. On at least one of the ones that's come through the shop to be removed, the fault was that when you press the 'tune' button, five strings tune themselves and the other one unwinds the string entirely - and yes, it was charged. That's not acceptable on a gigging guitar, for me. Other failures have also been reported.

They also feel truly horrible to tune manually as Wez said - a sort of grating action which feels like it could be doing damage to the mechanism, even though it may not be - and they take a lot of turning, since the ratio is very high. And they turn the wrong way - which is annoying, if you're used to quickly tuning other guitars.

I was serious about suggesting that anyone who likes them buys a spare unit - although it's possible that they will be superseded by something that fits the same mounting holes, it's also possible that the whole idea will fizzle out and leave you with something that can't be repaired. It would be a good idea to prepare for that, given the number of unused or slightly-used ones on the market now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I've just got a Midtown with Gforce tuners installed and planned to do straight change to grovers, but having priced them up and used the Gforce for a bit struggle to see the point, for now.  Grovers look better but the Gforce works really well, so the way I see it I may as well use the thing until it breaks.  I'd sell the Gforce, but they are not worth much, so it would cost to swap out something that works pretty good.