I'm toying with the idea of making a 7 string ...

Only about 25% likely at present, but still in my mind.

Are there any potential probs to consider or is it much the same as doing a 6 string? I'm thinking that my radius block is too narrow. for starters.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33940
    You got it baaaaaaaaad. :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16931
    Its just the same, but well worth having bridge before you cut any wood
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    WezV said:
    Its just the same, but well worth having bridge before you cut any wood
    Good point. I want a trem but I've not looked around yet to see what's out there.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33940
    Good quality 7 string trem's are few and far between.
    There are many more fixed bridges that work (Hipshot is great).

There is the Floyd Rose 7 and.... er.... not much else I'd bother with.

• SerratusSerratus Frets: 121

I only make 7-strings!! lol

Floyd trems are good, or if you can pickup a second hand Ibanez lo-pro then they're really nice. If you don't want a locking trem then the Hipshot 7-string contour trem is awesome, one of the nicest bridges I've ever used. Pricey though.

Serratus said:

I only make 7-strings!! lol

Floyd trems are good, or if you can pickup a second hand Ibanez lo-pro then they're really nice. If you don't want a locking trem then the Hipshot 7-string contour trem is awesome, one of the nicest bridges I've ever used. Pricey though.

Many thanks for that info. I wouldn't want a locking trem so the Hipshot looks like a good alternative. Do you know if they are available in the UK? Don't appear to be.
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121
    I bought mine direct from Hipshot in the US. There is also an eBay seller called Sporthitech in the US who often sells Hipshot stuff cheaper than they do direct, so it might be worth messaging them to see if they can get one. You'll have to pay at least 20% import duty from both of them though. There is a UK eBay seller who's just started doing Hipshot bridges - maybe message them too and see if they can get you one?
    Serratus said:
    I bought mine direct from Hipshot in the US. There is also an eBay seller called Sporthitech in the US who often sells Hipshot stuff cheaper than they do direct, so it might be worth messaging them to see if they can get one. You'll have to pay at least 20% import duty from both of them though. There is a UK eBay seller who's just started doing Hipshot bridges - maybe message them too and see if they can get you one?
    Thanks again.